Author Topic: Non jamming jib fittings  (Read 2027 times)

Anyone can uk

Non jamming jib fittings
« on: 20 Apr 2021, 07:01 »
We are well on our way to converting Seapig (BRe 20) for use by sailors with mobility needs.

I’m a bit stuck with the jib sheeting arrangement because standing and exerting upwards force to release the cleat is going to be onerous or impossible.

On my review of the current info in the forum there i are several mentions of rerouting the sheet alongside the mizzen sheets but no one has said they have actually done this. Has anyone tried?

My most likely and least impactful (pending better suggestions) would be to either:

Discover that someone makes an inverted version of the existing cleat  so you have to stand and lift to lock it and a downward pull releases it. Thus it would be free running most of the time with sitting clients. 

Or

Finding a suitable low friction high angle non jamming fair lead and mounting it next to the existing jammer and just using that for clients that would struggle to unlock the other cleat. 

Either way I haven’t found the ideal fitting to use if any one has suggestions.

Many thanks

Chris
Anyone Can

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Non jamming jib fittings
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2021, 11:41 »
Chris,

I don't know if this is of any relevance to a BRe https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2066.msg13782.html#msg13782.  If you have the leeward sheet of a conventional jib to hand while seated on the windward side of the cockpit, a quick flick is all that’s needed to release it from the camcleat.  Securing it is also easy.  If you have a self-tacking jib, the sheet on either side of the boat does the job and in any case the jib mostly looks after itself.

This thread might be more relevant https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1244.0.html.  And then there's the whole question of cross sheeting a conventional jib, where you have to ask yourself if you really want to be scrabbling towards the lee side coach roof in a blow.....
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Nick Orchard

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2021, 08:50 »
Just a suggestion, but the Spinlock PXR has a fairly simple user modification that enables it to be tripped remotely using a thin line routed to wherever is convenient, and it can also be modded to auto lock by adding a piece of shockcord. The tripping line mod still allows the cleat to be used normally as well. https://www.spinlock.co.uk/uploads/files/032018/5aa7c10b2921100cc103dc0c/original/PXR_Remote_-_Instructions.pdf?1563531009.
Nick Orchard
BC26 008 Luminos II - Torquay

TimLM

« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2021, 11:18 »
Yep I've routed my jib and staysail sheets through the same place as the mizzen sheets, I used the smallest Harken cleats so they fit side by side and constructed 2 turning double blocs to bring them inboard.
I have since changed them to include the spinnaker sheets so the double turning blocks are sat on my workbench. If they are of any use I could post them to you?
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

Anyone can uk

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2021, 19:24 »
Tim

Sorry I missed your reply. Could you please send me a picture of how you routed the lines     back to the mizzen cut away.

Many thanks

Chris.