Author Topic: Safety equipment BRE  (Read 1845 times)

tcave

Safety equipment BRE
« on: 01 May 2021, 18:59 »
Just wondering what safety equipment other Coastal BRe sailors carry. Personally I take.
DSC VHF (and show all aboard how to use it)
Waterproof mobile
Small anchor
Harness lines
Life jackets
Safety knife and big shackle spanner.
Big torch / nav lights

I don’t take
Flares. - used to, but can’t imaging using them.
Big second anchor with 15m warp/chain.

The rationale is that given two independent methods of power and steering (ie sail, rudder and outboard). Gear failure is unlikely to leave me incapacitated. I don’t have a stove (thermos is better), and sail in eyesight of the massive coastguard ariel on the Isle of Wight.

Just wondering what others do.
Cheers toby BRe 42 Keyhaven

Sea Simon

Re: Safety equipment BRE
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2021, 20:43 »
In addition to the items mentioned above....

I used to have a "trade" source for distress  flares, both acquiring and disposing of them.
Both have now dried up, and conventional pyrotechnics have become a right pita, on both respects.

So, I've recently bought an OREO LED "laser flare", and was so impressed by its performance, that i bought another!
I have the bigger  version mounted on the cabin bulkhead, the smaller  fits in a LJ/BA pocket. About £75?
If you carry nav lights, it's probably prudent to carry a visual distress signal for use in darkness? These flares are programmed to send a red SOS signal, as well as flickering to simulate a flame/conventional flare.
Good reviews in PBO etc.

I would also highly recommend a GMDSS Personal Locator Beacon PLB in addition to the VHF/mobile. £200?
In fairness, I guess the DSC VHF might fulfill a similar function?
However, here in Cornwall and, for example in the W Highlands, VHF coverage can be patchy. COSPAS-SARSAT GMDSS is supposed to solve this.
I'm sure you'll be OK in the Solent, or thereabouts...

I'm also slightly paranoid about bilges, and so have fiitted an additional (double-acting) bilge pump.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.