Author Topic: A rather unusual heater  (Read 2245 times)

graham2burton65@gmail.com

A rather unusual heater
« on: 02 Jun 2021, 18:16 »

Hi folks

I would like to share my experience with arranging a small heater for Jaunty, my BC 20
Following Peters advice and experience, I was hoping to purchase a Pan2000 stove top heater.
Unfortunately they have gone out of business, or they are not responding to emails and calls.

Marital harmony expects something........

So what to do? 
I have a cheap device that sits on the stove but has no way of routing the dangerous fumes out of the cabin. I am rather shocked what can be sold to be honest......
I do not have room for a charcoal or drip feed diesel heater
My small batteries cannot run an Eberspatcher.

I cannot in all honesty recommend the following but I do believe I may be able to run it safely.

Thought you might to like to see it.  Gas engineers may like to look away now!

I

Re: A rather unusual heater
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2021, 18:17 »
another photo

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2021, 18:21 »
and a third picture,

it give out a very impressive amount of heat.
The first half of the exhaust is radiating heat but the exhaust pipe is cold to touch at the outer end.
It poses difficulties in storage and to deploy.....
I will need to arrange a chimney as I am not happy venting it under the hood

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2021, 18:38 »
Yes I do have a carbon monoxide alarm, I will not leave it unattended and will not use it when asleep....

there is a real issue of trying to establish if any fumes leak out the bottom.  Is the chimney/exhaust drawing well etc. 

It does have a the huge benefit of the ability to simmer pans on the top.

I believe I am aware of the multiple dangers inherent in DIY heaters of this sort, death for instance.... I welcome any comments on how to improve/test etc I do not currently have test equipment.

I do have to ensure that the heat does not influence the gas cannister, there are strict instructions not go above a certain pan size for instance.  I am well inside this diameter and my hot gases do not flow around the bottom of the pan as they go up the exhaust.
I will run it on max briefly to get the exhaust drawing and then ease down to a lower setting in use.

I do not fancy the expense of insurance to go into production.  Sorry!

Hope some of you  find that interesting and thought provoking

Cheers
Graham B

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2021, 09:23 »
The Dept of Transport's Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) have done several Investigations of CO accidents/incidents on small craft, over the years.
Well worth a read.
One of the latest is here...
https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/safety-warning-about-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-after-the-loss-of-2-lives-on-the-motor-cruiser-diversion

I appreciate your dilemma.
But while you may not intend to sleep with the heater/stove lit, a large glass or two of good red wine....a nip of malt....

In such a critical application, I think I'd have two CO alarms. They're not that expensive nowadays, I have three in the house (LPG gas boiler, multi fuel stove, gas hob).
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2021, 12:18 »
In the past, Tony has recommended multiple hot water bottles.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2021, 23:01 »
you may be relieved to know that I have had a rethink about the viability of this design,  I have had help calculating the chimney size and design.
short answer mine is too small and I will have to do a major redesign.

So it on the shelf for now.

Not scrapped completely you understand...not the idea.
thanks Peter

cheers folks