Author Topic: BRe Insurance Recommendations  (Read 1887 times)

ianmair

BRe Insurance Recommendations
« on: 22 Jun 2021, 18:17 »
Hi folks, good to meet you all, we are collecting our new BRe "Misty" from Matt and team this Friday. Very exciting week!

I've had a bit of a search of the forum without much luck; just wondered if people had suggestions for an insurance provider for this size of boat and that they've had good experiences with? Always keen to go by word of mouth, hoping never to need to claim but interested in peoples' experiences.

Many thanks, see you on the water!
Ian
BRe 098 "Misty" lying Plymouth, Devon, UK

Rob Johnstone

Re: BRe Insurance Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2021, 20:54 »
I used a broker known as Porthcawl insuranc for Vagabond (https://www.porthcawl-insurance.co.uk/) - seemed good value but never had to test whether they would pay out. And there's still that rather indeterminate issue about who carries the risk when the boat is being towed on the trailer.....
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Sea Simon

Re: BRe Insurance Recommendations. Noble Marine, Notts.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2021, 11:15 »
I have used Noble Marine for my dinghies for many years, and they have always been very fair. They have paid out on some significant claims arising during racing, including a claim for a new mast (mast bent, having capsized and struck bottom), sails,  and another for significant hull damage (rear ended- not my fault!). Obviously, premiums increase after a claim, and a no claims discount system operates as expected. Boats all quite new, so paid out replacement prices.
No trailing claims.

They are also competively priced for my BRe, but no claims...so far....
They are content for the BRe to be left out on a harbour swing mooring for the season. Another important consideration, as some policies may not cover boats left afloat and unattended for "significant periods".

Noble Marine (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
Clinton House
12 Lombard Street
Newark
NG24 1XB
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

ianmair

Re: BRe Insurance Recommendations
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jul 2021, 12:44 »
Thanks both for the recommendations bit of a delay in replying as we took delivery off the boat and haven't stopped sailing since!!

We went with Porthcrawl in the end but the two seem to have very few differences and it was a 50/50. Fingers crossed we never need to use them!!
BRe 098 "Misty" lying Plymouth, Devon, UK