Author Topic: Head fitting for laced mainsails. BR20  (Read 1696 times)

Colin Lawson

Head fitting for laced mainsails. BR20
« on: 05 Jul 2021, 10:52 »
The new sails for my 2007 gunter rigged BR20 have finally arrived. My previous mainsail had a sleave for the yard but the new sail is intended to be laced to the yard. I can figure out how to do the lacing but am not sure how the head of the sail should be attached. My yard (being of the older design) has no fitting or hole to secure the head of the mainsail.  Can someone with the new design tell me how the head of the mainsail is attached to the top of the yard. Thanks.

Colin BR20 'Spray'
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Matthew P

Re: Head fitting for laced mainsails. BR20
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2021, 14:23 »
I think Gladys simply has a hole through the wooden bung in the end of the wind surfer mast that has been adapted to make the gunter yard. 

I do know I use strong plastic electric cable ties to attach sails to spars. Simple.  Effective.  Adjustable. Low friction. Light weight. Cheap. Replaceable.  Can be doubled if you want more strength - but its better to have something cheap and replaceable fail than damage the sail or spar. If one fails (not happened yet) then the rest probably hold instead of the whole lot unravelling.  May not look "traditional" but no one has noticed yet, especially if black ties are used to match the colour of the spar.

Matthew
ex-Gladys BR20 Gunter
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Colin Lawson

Re: Head fitting for laced mainsails. BR20
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2021, 18:18 »
Thanks Matthew. A hole in the end of the yard is what I suspected was the answer - it will be pleasantly easy to implement. Will get onto it as soon as the rain stops.

Colin
Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth