Author Topic: Stainless steel corrosion  (Read 14650 times)

Michael Rogers

Stainless steel corrosion
« on: 15 Dec 2008, 10:58 »
Reading the December 2008 "Gaffers Log" (the Newsletter of the Old Gaffers Association), I was rather startled to read, in an article on corrosion by a marine surveyor, that stainless steel corrodes in situations where it is deprived of oxygen - a phenomenon referred to as "crevice corrosion". Examples given were stainless steel keel bolts where they pass through the hull, and even plastic covers over standing rigging.

This is presumably not a potential problem which should be of concern in our particular kinds of boat building/maintenance - is it ?! There are several bits of stainless steel "buried" in my boat, where I doubt that they get much oxygen. I would prefer them not to corrode! Should they be dug out and replaced with bronze, for example?

Expert advice, and if possible reassurance, would be much appreciated!

Michael

Craic

Re: Stainless steel corrosion
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2008, 09:58 »
... Expert advice, and if possible reassurance, would be much appreciated!

Certainly no expert advice, but reassurance: I never ever had stainless steel screws or bolts failing in any of my boats for 25 years, and that also regardless of the grade of the stainless steel.
But I have seen a lot of brass screws and bolts grown brittle.

I will stick with stainless steel screws and bolts, but maybe oftener pick the more expénsive 'V4A' material stuff which is decidedly marine grade.