Author Topic: Boat Hoist. Going Up?  (Read 13782 times)

Tony

Boat Hoist. Going Up?
« on: 31 Jan 2009, 22:15 »
Ok. Someone must have dreamed up a neat way of doing this! Any offers?

At the moment Four Sisters is blocking the view of my bit of Sherwood Forest (two Birch trees and a cat toilet) from my kitchen window, waiting for me to spruce her up for the next sailing season – which, by the way, starts in February around these parts. (This job needs completing as soon as possible to assuage the mounting pressure from my wife to let the snowdrops get some light.)
The big problem is not re-varnishing the mast and brightwork or dealing with the mess the anchor chain has made of the gunnel, it's how to get last seasons barnacles off the bilge boards!
Six weeks moored in warm, salt water is quite long enough to raise a fair crop all over the hull and at about 1.5 mm across they make a rough surface capable of slowing us up by at least a knot – and taking the skin off an unwary swimmer, too. Most of the hull is accessible with the little lugger on her trailer but how do I get at the bilge boards on which she sits? What I need is a safe, foolproof way of hoisting her a couple of feet into the air to allow the boards to drop out of the hull for a good scrub and a wax polish, perhaps.
All ideas will be gratefully received........

gerald turner

Re: Boat Hoist. Going Up?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2009, 11:57 »
Two options ,dig out a hole under where you need to drop the plates then back fill planting spring bulbs as you go!

Or use an engine hoist to lift and chock boat whilst it is on trailor drop trailor then manouevour out of way. But have you got a Engine hoist ( car Mechanics one )

Tony

« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2009, 00:00 »
Thanks, Gerald.
As you see, the hole digging idea won't run. What I need is a design of sheer legs (or sky hook ) to hang a  hoist from.......

Craic

« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2009, 07:50 »
Tony,
the usual way would be to careen the boat. Rig the mast, let the boat slide down the trailer, tilt the boat using the mainsail halyard until the board on one side is accessible, then do the other one and finally winch the boat back onto the trailer. Would that be a problem?

Tony

« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2009, 13:41 »
Hi, Claus.
Thanks for the careening tip. Easy enough in shallow water for scrubbing off – so long as I dont make too much of a mess. ( Severn-Trent Water please ignore!)
I had a trial run (here, on land) this afternoon but stopped when I noticed that the first bit of the boat  to touch concrete would be the bronze rudder fittings. I'll need to drop the stern on to something well padded and then pull the trailer out from under. Might be more difficult to winch her back on again. Not a  job to attempt on my own, perhaps. Have to wait until the more muscular of my four daughters comes back from her travels!
Cheers!
Tony