Author Topic: Jibboom and Spinnaker  (Read 14672 times)

Craic

Jibboom and Spinnaker
« on: 31 Mar 2009, 13:40 »
The options to tune up the BayRaider seem endless.
I have built my -improved- jib clubboom a good bit longer so I can now use it for the asymmetric spinnaker too. BTW, that waterstay is very important because it must convey some of the strong forward pulling forces into the hull.
The spi foot is held by a snap-shackle which can be released from inside the cockpit.

Craic

Re: Jibboom and Spinnaker
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2009, 13:44 »
OOps, photo size. Here:

Craic

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2009, 13:47 »
Reduced photo size here:

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:51 »
Claus,
What is the purpose of the track on top of your carbon jib boom?  Not evident in this picture but in another one that you posted that I have temporarily mislaid.
Graham
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Craic

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2011, 21:33 »
Claus,
What is the purpose of the track on top of your carbon jib boom?  Not evident in this picture but in another one that you posted that I have temporarily mislaid.
Graham
Graham,
I have made that carbon boom to be used on different boats and with different jibs, I experiment around a lot. Through the track I can adjust the boom swivelling point and also compensate for different sail foot lengths and adjust for different foot tensions too. Besides, the track makes the boom a little bit stiffer. It's a lovely job, well worth the effort.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2011, 21:45 »
I can see that I am going to end up with rather more than the three standard sails!
Graham

Tony

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2011, 16:16 »
Hi, Claus.
I like the look of your Jib/spi  boom and wonder if I could adapt it for the Four Sisters?
My  jib, originally designed to replace the balanced lug main in heavy weather – which it does very well – can give me an extra knot and help the boat point higher when flown WITH the lug sail, especially when going to windward.  It overlaps quite a lot, obviously, but gives a marvellous slot effect. It would be convenient to carry it on a jib furler ready for use but it just manages to foul the yard when tacking.  A short bowsprit would solve the problem – but I hate the things when mooring so want to make it instantly removable.
Your jib boom, fixed to the mast in some way and with a decent waterstay could well be the answer. It wouldn’t take much to fit and remove, it could carry the jib furling line and it would keep the fore deck clear for mooring ropes, too.
What do you think?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2011, 16:53 »
Tony,
Here are a couple of links to useful discussions on securing bowsprits, whether secured to the deck and sliding through a deck-mounted hoop of some kind, or hinged.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/bowsprit-with-hinges-29978.html
http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/Articles/Bowsprit%20Article.htm
I am going to install a Claus-inspired extended jib boom on my BR and am already wielding my angle grinder on a carbon spar.
Graham
Graham

Craic

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2011, 19:05 »
Hi, Claus.
I like the look of your Jib/spi  boom and wonder if I could adapt it for the Four Sisters? ... What do you think?

Hi Tony.
Excellent drawings. The lower drawing shows what I do when I fly the spinnaker. Tying the boom aft to the mast not only limits the sideways movement of the boom but also conveys the forward pulling forces of the spinnaker to the hull.
I do think a jib clubboom like mine would solve your jib/bowsprit problems. It is simple to build, all you need is a good piece of knot-free wood, some rope, and a strong swivel. You have the furling drum I suppose.
But then, your boat may loose weather helm in light winds. If so, you may compensate some by raking your mast further aft.
Trying out something new like this is experimenting, if you give it a try do be back here how it went. C.