Author Topic: Mainsheet Harbourfurl; Foredeck; Rowing bench  (Read 12121 times)

Craic

Mainsheet Harbourfurl; Foredeck; Rowing bench
« on: 08 Apr 2009, 13:24 »
Finally running out of ideas, just some small stuff left:

1) If you use an intermediate rope between boom and mainsheet pulley, you can leave the mainsheet attached during harbour-furling and harbour-outfurling.

2) The foredeck on my plastic boat is mighty slippery when wet. These 3M non-slip adhesive tapes help.

3) To prevent the rowing bench from sliding while still keeping it adjustable, some Velcro pads help. 

Finally, a happy sailing season to all!

Craic

Re: Mainsheet Harbourfurl; Foredeck; Rowing bench
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2011, 12:12 »
Ex-Drascombers like me often take it for granted that people automatically know what is meant by harbourfurling: The vertical furling of the mainsail. Found very little on the web, so am posting a photo here.
Sorry, not possible with roached or battened mainsails. And not really feasible with a conventional mainsail boom.

Colin Morley

Re: Mainsheet Harbour furl;
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2011, 09:45 »
Ex-Drascombers like me often take it for granted that people automatically know what is meant by harbourfurling: The vertical furling of the mainsail. Found very little on the web, so am posting a photo here.
Sorry, not possible with roached or battened mainsails. And not really feasible with a conventional mainsail boom.
I like the idea of the vertical mainsheet furling. In your picture it all looks very neat. How do you roll it up so well when it is attached to the gaff and also include the boom? This looks as though it could be difficult in a wind. Is the boom taken off the gooseneck?  How to you unfurl and raise this sail after a harbour furl?
I have fixed a topping lift which makes it easy to hold the boom horizontally, bring the gaff down to the same level and then "wrap" the sail around this with sail ties. I also have a short rope fixed to the prussic knot on the mizzen which allows me to stabilise the end of the gaff.

Colin
BR James Caird

Simon Knight

Re: Mainsheet Harbourfurl; Foredeck; Rowing bench
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2011, 20:38 »
I have just tried the harbour furl while in the boat is in the garden (less danger of drowning) and found it difficult to get the top of the main rolled tight.  I would imagine that there is the risk of the top of the sail flogging if it is not rolled up enough.

I also tried a topping lift which also acts as a simple lazy jack, it seemed to keep every thing nice and neat so I think I shall give it a go on the water. Also it means that the gaff is in the right place to support the tent.
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka