Author Topic: Damp  (Read 2018 times)

Paul Beardsell

Damp
« on: 21 Aug 2021, 09:25 »
Unsure if this should be in "Technical".

I've gotten my BC23 out of the water Loch Lomond this morning a day early because of forecast continual rain. But it's been raining overnight sometimes heavily, and it's raining now. In and out of the cabin I've inevitably brought in a lot of damp. And I'm about to take the very wet boom&sail assembly off the mast to store in the cabin.

Before I can attend to the boat again a week will have passed and I fear I'll open up to find everything mouldy.

What should I do? There's no electric hookup available this next week for heater or dehumidifier. I can't leave the mast up as I have to move the boat today. Am I too worried and a week won't do any harm? Or are my fears real?

graham2burton65@gmail.com

Re: Damp
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2021, 12:48 »
Hi,
no absolute answer to this thought but.

you are right to be concerned, you will not come back to serious mould but it gains a little hold every time and moves forward a bit each time.

why not leave the boom rigged?
open as many vents as possible.
prop up all bunk cushions
avoid anything filling or stuffing any areas, kitbags, pillows etc
let the air flow and it will be ok....unless you have mould allready.

Are you worried you may not return?
you may know all this...happy sailing

JGBaynton

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2021, 14:12 »
These have always worked well for me :-
https://www.force4.co.uk/search?query=moisture+traps
Jonathan Baynton
BC23 KESTREL

Paul Beardsell

« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2021, 13:06 »
I had to trail the boat, and then store same for a week before I could return, so could not leave boom rigged, and hence my concern re dripping wet sail in the boat.

The passive dessicants recommended above are not cheap for what they are, but I had already bought some  (different brand) from the boatyard where I did leave the boat for a week, and they may have helped things from getting worse. I have those now in the lockers with the previously wet mooring ropes and lifejacket.

When I returned all was not too bad, I propped up all the cushions as advised, and I've had a fan heater in since and all is now toasty and dry. There is a little mildew/mould on the inside of the hatch cover and maybe elsewhere. I will be using a domestic chlorine based spray cleaner tomorrow there and elsewhere, as cure and preventative. I will follow up with a vinegar solution in a few days as that can be used on wood and even upholstery, although fortunately that does not seem necessary currently.

Thanks for the advice.