Author Topic: Depth transducer  (Read 3166 times)

Tim Young

Depth transducer
« on: 09 Sep 2021, 09:40 »
Hi All,

Has anyone fitted an internal (i.e. not through hull) transducer on a BRe? And if so where and did it work ok?

Thanks in advance,
Tim. 

Llafurio

Re: Depth transducer
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2021, 13:25 »
Hi All,

Has anyone fitted an internal (i.e. not through hull) transducer on a BRe? And if so where and did it work ok?

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

Yes. Epoxied onto the sole of the portside rear airtank. Two transducers, side-by-side, actually. Lowrance units, one b/w and the other colour. I mostly use the b/w unit to save power where no finer navigation details are required. Both transducers work fine on all points of sail, and in all conditions, on default sounder settings for deep seawater. C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

jonno

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:31 »

On both my old Bayraider and my present one, the yard fitted transducers in the aperture at the forward end of the centreboard slot. They are faired in very nicely and work well.

John

jonno

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:32 »

On both my old Bayraider and my present one, the yard fitted transducers in the aperture at the forward end of the centreboard slot. They are faired in very nicely and work well.

John

Anyone can uk

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2021, 20:59 »
Yes we have a dragonfly mounted in the stern air tank not even bonded in just sitting in the resident puddle and bolted to the bulkhead . works great.

Sea Simon

Would like to know please if anyone has successfully fitted a depth sounder to a boat with Copperbott/Copper coat antifouling?
I would prefer to mount the transducer internally, to fire thru the intact hull. No more/new holes!
Instinct tells me that this should be ok, as I believe that these transducers operate with a kind of "ultrasound" rather than an electromagnetic "pulse" like radar? Therefore any shielding by the Coppercoat should not be an issue, as long as the coating is sound, and "solid" with the laminate. After all we NDT galvanised pipes using ultrasound?
Would prefer an expert answer before I waste my time/money; no answer from Coppercoat suppliers yet....

Jonno, I would be very grateful if you could please give more details of your transducer type and exact mounting location.

As the main danger hereabouts is individual isolated prominent rocks, any sounder will be of limited use. I would prefer to mount the transducer as far forward as possible.
So I'm hoping not to have to rig anything too elaborate, and to be able to power a simple depth sounder from a Li ion power tool battery of about 5/6 Ah (I already have plenty of these!). See other post.

Also still hoping that someone might be considering downsizing BC23>BRe?  ;)
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

Would like to know please if anyone has successfully fitted a depth sounder to a boat with Copperbott/Copper coat antifouling?
I would prefer to mount the transducer internally, to fire thru the intact hull. No more/new holes!
Instinct tells me that this should be ok, as I believe that these transducers operate with a kind of "ultrasound" rather than an electromagnetic "pulse" like radar?

To answer my own question!
Q to Coppercoat: "I am looking to fit a depth sounder to my Swallow Yachts Bay Raider Expedition, that was Coppercoated from new. Will a transducer fitted internally, and firing thru the solid hull still work well with my Coppercoated hull?"

Coppercoat answer: " The Coppercoat should not effect the readings of your depth sounder, so please feel free to fit and use it as normal. Tens of thousands of boats with Coppercoat have depth sounder set-ups just like this, so you are in good company!
For your own peace of mind, test it in a known depth of water when you first fit it. This way you can satisfy yourself that all is well."

Perhaps others may find this useful?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2021, 12:23 »
We had a through hull transducer and Coppercoat and the Coppercoat didn't cause any issues.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

TimLM

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2021, 09:52 »
Hi Simon, Hi Tim,
I had my transducer fitted also by the yard but it is an easy job with P40. I asked for it to be as far forward as possible, so just behind the front tank. I am using a Nasa Target Cruise2 which takes micro amps so can theoretically run on a 8 Min 1500 (AA) batteries.
Tim
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

Sea Simon

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2021, 21:11 »
Thanks TimLM, as above, I too prefer as far ford as possible!

P40 being Isopon polyester filler?

Location. Do you mean just aft of the small fore peak void tank? Mine has a small access hatch, but from memory the tank is "too pointy" and not enough "head room" to fit a transducer inside.
Fitting in the "footwell" slightly further aft should be dooable with the 7m transducer cable, standard with the Nasa Clipper.

My Nasa Clipper echo meter has arrived. No sign yet of my Hikoki battery DC-DC reducer/adapter.
Will keep you posted. Winter project now...
...From Oct 22.