Author Topic: BRE questions  (Read 2947 times)

pezza3434

BRE questions
« on: 14 Sep 2021, 11:22 »
Hi everyone,

Very interested in the Bayraider expedition, but had a few questions that I wondered if other owners could answer. I’ve used the search function but couldn’t find specific answers to these questions.

1. Is the cabin big enough for two adults? I’d ideally like to cruise with my other half (who I don’t mind being cosy with) but also with friends.
2. What are your toilet arrangements? I can’t see anywhere obvious where a porti-potti would go?
3. Is the water ballast noisy when sleeping?
4. How do you cook onboard? I tried to use the search function for this but couldn’t find too many examples.

Thanks everyone!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BRE questions
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2021, 11:58 »

If the tank is full, there shouldn’t be any noise at all.  There’s more likely to be the soothing noise of waves against the bow when at anchor.

4. How do you cook onboard? I tried to use the search function for this but couldn’t find too many examples.

There’s a long thread about stoves suitable for BayRaiders here https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1305.0.html
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

jonno

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2021, 15:08 »
Hi everyone,

Very interested in the Bayraider expedition, but had a few questions that I wondered if other owners could answer. I’ve used the search function but couldn’t find specific answers to these questions.

1. Is the cabin big enough for two adults? I’d ideally like to cruise with my other half (who I don’t mind being cosy with) but also with friends.
2. What are your toilet arrangements? I can’t see anywhere obvious where a porti-potti would go?

Thanks everyone!

1.  The cabin is big enough for two adults.  But it's small - not small for sleeping but small for living in.  If you take the bare minimum and are organised, it works.
2.  Bucket in cockpit.
3.  No noise from water ballast.
4.  We cook on a Pocket Rocket type gas stove on the cockpit sole.

John

Nicky R

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2021, 21:35 »
1. We sleep board too, and it’s fine for two reasonably tall adults (~5’11”). Make sure your stuff goes in waterproof bags as you won't want the bags in with you when you’re sleeping.
2. We use a bucket, and overnight at marinas. We bought a bivvy loo, but haven’t been brave enough to use it.
3. We usually sail ballast out, but haven’t had any issue with ballast noise when it’s in. As Grahame said, the tank is full so the water can't move about. Any water noise comes from waves hitting the hull.
4. We’ve only cooked once when we’ve been on the Norfolk broads. We used a camp stove, but I cooked on the bank not in the boat. Normally we find a pub!
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

TimLM

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2021, 09:42 »
Hi Pezza?
1. The cabin takes 2 well over 6 ft but as the other say cosy.
2. I have a Dometic chemical loo which stows in the starboard locker where the fuel is. I generally use it under a cockpit tent but under way it fits snugly between the King Post and the centre board case with the "U" shaped board lifted.
3. The Water ballast is very quiet.
4. I use a cheap gas canister stove on the floor of the cockpit and if the tent is up make sure there is a vent open. The modern gas canister stove has more safety systems than most, is cheap as chips therefore eminently replaceable. I am though about to make a thwart in plain wood with a recess for the stove which I feel will be safer still.
Hope this helps, Tim
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

RichardandJeni

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2021, 13:46 »
Hi Tim,
Would you mind letting us know which actual model of Dometic loo you have please.
Also interested in the cockpit tent you have, could you either post here or send pics and details to us of your manufacturer please.
We are expecting to be able to collect our BRe in a few weeks so are making plans for a bit of winter sailing!
Thanks,
Richard..

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2021, 10:33 »
Thanks everyone!

1.  "The cabin is big enough for two adults.  But it's small - not small for sleeping but small for living in.  If you take the bare minimum and are organised, it works". I agree with Jonno! Fine on my own, when my gear lives in the other half of the cabin, but not fine with wife who is not "naturally inclined towards camping". Imho, the BRe is camping in a small tent, not caravanning/campervanning! Depends on what you're after?
2.  Bucket in cockpit. We abandoned our portapotti, as more trouble that it was worth. However our usual sailing areas are all open sea.
3.  No noise from water ballast.
 IMPORTANT. To be safe and fully effective, ballast should be "solid". Google "stability free surface effect" for detailed explanations.
 To attempt to achieve this, i "burp" my tank by standing on the bow, at the stem head, with the fill plug open, and the tank access lid cracked open. Close the filler, while trying to keep the boat bow-down. I then insert an old fender (or maybe two?) So as to press up and overflow the tank. I believe that with its elasticity, the fender bladder will act like a hydraulic accumulator and help to keep the tank "solid". This also means it will be quiet too. Be aware that my fender method does however reduce tank capacity, and therefore "water-weight" and consequent righting moment marginally.
4.  We cook on a cheap, semi-disposable,  "brief case" type gas stove in the cockpit. Mounted atop an expensive waterproof all-alluminium flight case, modified as a galley box. The stove stores inside the case, this can then overnight outdoors, or is easily left behind in the tender to reduce weight/clutter on picnic-only days out. This setup also means any minor gas leaks are contained within the box, and should not find their way into the bilges.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2021, 12:14 »
There's no need for the bucket and chuck it method to be uncomfortable as well as lacking in privacy.  The attached is in marine ply on a BR20 but could easily be adapted for a BRe.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

TimLM

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2021, 21:05 »
Hi Tim,
Would you mind letting us know which actual model of Dometic loo you have please.
Also interested in the cockpit tent you have, could you either post here or send pics and details to us of your manufacturer please.
We are expecting to be able to collect our BRe in a few weeks so are making plans for a bit of winter sailing!
Thanks,
Richard..
Sorry Richard, life got in the way.
It's the Dometic 972 toilet
The tent was made by Moat Sails of Portland. I left my BRe with them and came back in a week with it done - magic
I hope this helps and you enjoy your BRe, Tim
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena