Author Topic: Wooden Bayraider  (Read 1962 times)

Ged

Wooden Bayraider
« on: 22 Sep 2021, 15:59 »
Does anybody know how many wooden Bayraiders have been made, how often do they come up second hand?
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Sea Simon

Re: Wooden Bayraider
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2021, 11:47 »
If a wood boat comes up, recommend you move quickly!

Regarding the recent BC 23 in Chichester, betime I had preliminary approval of the unusual hull colour from my in-house style/design departments it was sold...in less than 24 hrs!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2021, 15:06 »
There are nine or ten EPW versions shown as registered in the library section of the forum, three of which are outside the UK. There are probably a few others, particularly in Australia where Denman Marine built some under licence.  I believe that Mark Darley bought the most recent UK secondhand one and that was four years ago.  There seem to be more EPW BC20's about.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

MarkDarley

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2021, 22:15 »
Bayraider 20 Number 2, a wooden boat, is now at Inverness Yacht Club in California, my club when that side of the pond for winters.

Jim and Ashley sailed with me in the Swallow Rally in 2019 and were so taken by the design that they searched the globe for a wooden Bayraider.  It just so happened that Bayraider Number 2 became available in Oregon.  By the end of the weekend it was safely back in California!

They are very serious sailors with experience in the Oracle campaign and years of sailing Snipe and other one designs, and they recognised a great design when they saw one.  Jim is restoring the boat (he is an architect and boat builder) and I have no doubt it will stay in the family, sailing on Tomales and San Francisco Bay for many years to come.

Wood Swallows are hard to come by, and the owners seldom part with them.  Good luck in your search. 
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

adam clark

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2021, 11:15 »

I would be interested to see any photos of the ply/epoxy version of the BR20, it must be very diffrenet inside, if indeed the inside hull is not fitted with a GRP moulding. 

MarkDarley

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2021, 04:06 »
It is just possible that I will part with Pippin after the 2022 season in order to defray the expense of the BC23 I have commissioned.
If I do decide to sell her, I will post on this forum first.  She is just about the ideal raid boat with the possible exception of Craic.  Watch for us in the Caledonia Raid 2022, although two of my three brothers seem to be threatening mutiny if we have headwinds in the rowing sections!
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!