Author Topic: Repairing gouges in wooden mast  (Read 5216 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Repairing gouges in wooden mast
« on: 26 Sep 2021, 11:28 »
Before changing it for something gentler on the wood, I had a stainless shackle as part of the strop for securing the gunter jaws to the mast.  This made fairly deep gouges in the wooden mast’s surface. 

Now that I officially have more time and less money, I want to repair this myself instead of paying someone else to do it.  Any recommendations on what to do?  I assume that wood filler followed by sanding and varnishing is the way to go. 

I came across this stuff, that looks like it might be suitable https://www.classic-marine.co.uk/product/brummer-wood-stopper/.  Also this https://www.toplicht.de/en/paint-boatbuilding/sealing-gluing/wood-glue-wood-putty/2893/wood-putty-fugenplast.  Any personal favourites?

Other tasks for this winter include dealing with some gelcoat scratches on the bows (made by the trailer, of course), repairing areas of cockpit gelcoat where it’s been chipped away, replacing sealant that has dried out and cracked and sanding and re-coating all the woodwork.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Charles Scott

Re: Repairing gouges in wooden mast
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2021, 17:03 »
You can make a very good filler with clear epoxy resin thickened with the right coloured sawdust. Sands and varnishes fine.
Charles.  GRP Bayraider20 no. 75.  "Augusta Thomasina"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2021, 20:13 »
Thanks Charles, I’ll experiment with making some.  With my Shopsmiths I now have access to enormous quantities of sawdust in a variety of colours!
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2023, 10:05 »
Two years ago, I posted (above) that my poor BR20 wooden mast was looking like it had seen better days, having been ground away by the gunter jaws, especially at the first reefing position.  The incident in the first photo below, where we were caught out with only one reef, probably had something to do with it.  There was a metal shackle (since replaced) securing the jaw strop around the front of the mast, which did some of the damage where it rubbed against the mast under pressure.  The second photo shows some of the result.

Despite Charles’s helpful suggestion, I was not confident enough in my skills to repair it properly without bodging it.  I thought that I was going to have to buy a replacement mast in carbon fibre, as the yard no longer makes wooden ones.  I tried to source a secondhand wooden mast without success. 

Luckily North Kent (where I live) is a centre of wooden boat artisans.  https://www.alanstaleyboatbuilders.co.uk have taken on the task of making the mast better than new, at reasonable cost.  The third photo below of work in progress shows epoxy-glassed reinforcing patches around the main areas of wear, so that damage is unlikely to happen there again.  Matt had also suggested that idea.

Money saved, function improved, safety assured, cosmetics enhanced, waste avoided - what’s not to like?  I was finally prompted to do something about the damage by a recent Roger Barnes video (him again) in which the top of the wooden mast on his Ilur snapped off https://youtu.be/HmGd-N0FAGE?si=tAGCE87qGyvzkOUA.  Alan Staley assured me that that was unlikely to happen to my damaged mast but I certainly didn’t want to take the risk for a third year running.
Graham

Nicky R

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2023, 19:13 »
I’m still amazed that you managed to sail back that day. From what I remember, we had to sit out on our BRE while we motored back because the gusts were so strong!

The mast repair looks lovely. Hopefully you’ll have many more sails from it, although I’m not sure I’d wish one that exciting on you again!
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace