Author Topic: Protecting lawn from trailer wheels!  (Read 2033 times)

PYoung

Protecting lawn from trailer wheels!
« on: 13 Oct 2021, 23:14 »
Hi all.

I am planning to bring Mist home for winter for the first time for some well overdue tinkering. To put her in the storage area it requires me to reverse her over a nicely lawned area onto the pad.

Has anyone got any tips on how to not wreck the lawn with trailer wheel ruts?

My thoughts span from that webbing stuff through to ply boards!

It would be interesting to hear any cheap ingenious ideas!

Thanks

Pete

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Protecting lawn from trailer wheels!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2021, 08:12 »
Pete,

You could do what safari 4WD’s do to cross deep loose sand - reduce the inflation of the trailer tyres to increase the surface area in contact with the lawn.  We also carried salvaged pieces of wire mesh for reinforced concrete with us to use as sand tracks (which also doubled as camp fire grills).  To avoid damaging the sidewalls of the tyres, it’s probably best to reinflate them once the trailer is in its final resting place.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

boomerangben

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2021, 11:27 »
Probably the best advice is to do it when the lawn is nice and dry ie before the autumn rains soften up the turf. Perhaps too late for that now if your weather is anything like ours!  Otherwise some cheap(!) sarking boards from the builders merchant. (125 or 150mm by 22 or 25mm thick rough sawn timber) would work if it’s a straight line. Perhaps in pairs or threes depending on reversing skills!

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2021, 14:00 »
I've had the same problem in the past, but not my lawn...which was far worse!

Scaffold boards are handy sized, stiff enough to spread the load, yet allow easy manual handling of the planks.
Usually readily available, and reasonably priced. That said, there's high demand for all this sort of thing at the moment, and good second hand boards are impossible to find hereabouts.

Half inch ply is no good (I tried some old shuttering ply) too thin!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

PYoung

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2021, 19:23 »
Thanks all. Some great ideas.  :)