Author Topic: Storm 15 questions  (Read 32761 times)

Niko

Re: Storm 15 questions
« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2009, 22:30 »
Paul

Pictures of the CB would be great!

When the mast is unstepped, how do you prevent the cover from getting swamped?

Paul Cross

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2009, 08:03 »
niko

I'll take some photos today (it rained yesterday!)

I have a couple of home made spar supports that keep the cover up....photos soon...all will be clear.

Paul

Paul Cross

« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2009, 08:59 »
Niko
Some photos....sorry about the clutter...i have oars, two paddles, boat hook, sprit and a spinnaker pole down there as well as the lightboard cable.

The centreboard case is slightly lower than the seats 1-2cm but extends further back into the cockpit than the daggerboard version. When the centreboard is up (like in the picture) it is about 5cm higher than the seats, but when down, it is level. The quick release clam cleat on the back of the case is one of our mods to keep the board down but release quickly if i hit something hard.

The 2 spar supports hold the spars off the deck and give the cover a peak in the middle to prevent rain buildup.

regards

Paul

Niko

« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:28 »
Paul

Thanks a lot for the photos!

Some random thoughts... foldable or telescope oars would help... and it would be nice to run the center board downhaul into the center board case and through the backward wall of the case to avoid the rope on the case...

I like your spar support. I think that perhaps unstepping the mast would even be good if - as in my case - one don`t has to.  It pays of when you can pull the cover just over the boat and don`t have to mess around with a slot in the cover for the mast.

Again thanks a lot!  Very helpful!

Regards, Niko.

Paul Cross

« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2009, 12:17 »
I agree...an unstayed mast is very easily removed and the benefits of a cover without a slot or hole for the mast (and shrouds) are obvious.

The clutter around the centreboard is only really when towing....i would normaly just carry one paddle which fits neatly under the foredeck with the boat hook and spinniker pole...the oars can be left where they are or (more usually) put in the rowlocks with the blade tips meeting just aft of the rudder. This not only looks good but keeps them ready for use. If its a little choppy i secure them with a small bungee tie through the scuppers. The though of replacing my gorgeous sweeping oars with a pair of telescopic ones is unthinkable!!!   :'(

The centreboard downhaul would be neater through the case but it works well as it is and doesnt really get in the way of anything....in fact, because it has a bungee loop at one end, it is very useful for securing stuf like a chart case, radio or packet of biscuits whilst under way.

Regards
Paul

Niko

« Reply #20 on: 26 Aug 2009, 15:40 »
I would _never_ think of replacing anybodys gorgeous oars with anything but goreous splitable oars... ;)

I found these: http://www.segelladen.de/Inhalt-untergruppen1/ruder.htm (scroll down to `Bootsriemen, demontierbar`).

Regards, Niko.

Paul Cross

« Reply #21 on: 26 Aug 2009, 16:13 »
very nice..but prefer mine..and the length is not really a problem (and i already have them :-))

Are you considering a kit to build yourself or a complete boat?

Regards
Paul

Niko

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:28 »
A complete boat.  I don`t have the time to build it myself.  Too bad.

What`s your sail number?  Any idea how many S15 are there?

Regards, Niko.

Paul Cross

« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2009, 18:53 »
Niko

I have no idea how may Storm 15's there are around..i've never seen another one on my travels (apart from Matt's test boat) I think there must be quite a few though. Perhaps Matt can tell you.....i suspect that there are plenty of "nearly finished" kits around the world.

Like you, i'd love to have the time to build my own boat..but the truth is that i dont have the skills and the patience to do it....i know that i get far more pleasure actualy sailing...although, tinkering and making modifications and "improvements" is good fun.

My sail number is not a sequential class number because the boat is registered with the RYA and has a number issued by that authority. (5759T)

Regards
Paul