Author Topic: Beige or Hemp Beige?  (Read 2474 times)

RogerLennard

Beige or Hemp Beige?
« on: 23 Nov 2021, 20:02 »
 I am smitten by the blue and white hull colours, chosen by so many Swallow Yacht owners. I think that a classic shape needs classic colours. However, which sprayhood/sail cover canvas colours would look good on a Swallow Yacht? I've just been sent swatches of the acrylic canvas to make the sprayhood on my BR20. I was thinking either beige or hemp beige. The latter looks darker and would hide the dirt!

Which hull and canvas colours did you choose and why?

jonno

Re: Beige or Hemp Beige?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2021, 17:34 »
I am smitten by the blue and white hull colours

Which hull and canvas colours did you choose and why?

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2021, 19:28 »
Jonno, apologies to OP...but...this is the first example of this set up that I have seen in the wild (also the first red BRe).
How do you get on with your "remote anchoring system"? Add to the anchoring thread may be best?
I'm also wondering where that £650 stainless 6kg Spade anchor shown in the utube video ended up  ;)

Back on topic...
OP - RL
Colours. Easy choice...a second hand boat!
Navy blue hull, with beige canvas (I did buy the spray hood to retrofit myself). No sailpack, just a conventional cover.
I don't find "beige" a problem wrt dirt, and my boat is afloat 6 months of the year. That said, my afloat cockpit cover (over the whole thing) was ordered as light grey "PVC" plastic-tarp material, I didn't want a beige canvas one. Of course, the beige sail cover usually remains exposed all season.

Regarding hull colour, I've had several navy blue boats over the years. Imo, they do tend to show both salt stains, and every small mark/dink.
I find the white boot-top a pita, but it does look good!

Being as you asked...if i was to order new, we (Mrs SS & I) do really like that very in-vogue torquise greeny/royal blue (Matts "go lightly" etc). but worry it may be overly "trendy". There is even a Plymouth Pilot, and a Cygnus Cove boat near here in that colour! Tends to go with the New England boathouse style holiday homes? ;)
We'd also choose "light wood" all-over, and beige canvas.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2021, 13:42 »
Not a comment on choice of colour for your sprayhood but a couple of suggestions you may want to consider.
Firstly consider having a double layer of material sewn into the hood, across the hood where the pram frame supports it. The main boom does rub across the hood at this point when it moves across the boat and eventually damages the hood, I’m not sure why the boom is not high enough to clear the hood but I believe several owners have this problem across Bayraiders and Baycruisers boats. The reinforcement only needs to go where the aft section of the "pram frame" touches the hood.

Secondly, and this is only meant for owners who like me just cruise with crew who's preferred space is under the sprayhood. With the addition of two horn cleats installed centrally on the foredeck coming positioned under the midpoint of the hood you can cleat of the main halyard and (if you have them) the lazy-jack halyard. The lines can be routed via turning blocks attached to the tabernacle, then under the sprayhood (via the small cut-out in the hood) to the cleats. This supports tensioning the lazy jacks and dropping the main. The cut-out in the hood though would better support this if it was cut a little higher to prevent the lines from chaffing the hood, I find having this arrangement useful as my other half is more willing to help with the lines if she doesn't have to stand up and make the changes on the mast cleats.

I have the cream below the waterline on my hull and the navy blue above, my sprayhood and sail stack pack is also navy blue which probably isn't the most traditional looking but I like it and according to onlookers when rigging and launching "beautiful".
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2021, 18:09 »
Peter,

That’s got to be one of the smartest BR20’s, which is already a good-looking boat in any colour scheme.  What are all the extras on your nice non-CLH trailer?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2021, 19:02 »
Thanks for the kind comments Graham on my boat, It sails,as good as it looks as well, so all the thought process and expense of getting it built to my specification has been worth it, just one extra I never thought of and that’s a mid ship mooring cleat which I’m not keen on retro fitting myself.

The DeGraffe trailer has worked out well, allowing me to keep to a non braked trailer and still stay in the legal limit on weight. The extra which is the most obvious is the power mover (Powrlaunch) system which I have since removed, great for easy remote moving of the rig but heavy and very attractive to the “Light fingered brigade” which is a bigger issue now the boat is kept at the Watersports centre.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

RogerLennard

« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec 2021, 21:25 »
Thank you everyone for your collective wisdom. As each week passes, my anticipation level rises. It's still a long time until delivery day.

Roger