Author Topic: Rope splicing course.  (Read 1739 times)

PYoung

Rope splicing course.
« on: 17 Dec 2021, 16:58 »
Hi all.

I wanted to share my recent experience doing a splicing course with the guys at Premium Ropes.

Being new to sailing I have very little experience with rope technology and working with ropes, so I thought I would get some knowledge.

The course was online over 2 nights and was excellent. They sent me everything I needed to follow the webinar, Fids, D splicer, whipping twine, great scissors, Various bits of rope, HMPE & Polyester.

I came out of the course having learnt lots about different rope tech and its uses. I can confidently splice eyes and make really lovely HPME soft shackles now.

The guys at who run the course are very enthusiastic about rope and are very happy to answer questions live on the webinar too.

I would recommend this course to anyone who has an interest in this aspect of sailing, it was very interesting indeed. Here's a link for the next dates if anyone is interested.

https://www.premiumropes.com/online-workshop-splicing-modern-ropes

p.s. I have no affiliation with these guys, but I loved the course and thought I would share my findings.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Rope splicing course.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2021, 20:47 »
Good recommendation!

Premium Ropes do a range of strings made from modern polymers that are often surprisingly cheap, considering that they ship from the Netherlands. 

Their D-Splicer is a great tool https://www.premiumropes.com/d-splicer-kit-a4.   Unlike a splicing needle, where you push through the splice, with the D-Splicer you pull.  I find that much easier, especially over long buries.  You could make your own version from a shaped wooden handle and a stainless welding rod, bent double in the middle.

They also do a good splicing book https://www.premiumropes.com/handbook-splicing-modern-ropes.

On the subject of Whitecaps’s postscript, I don’t know what others think but I feel that it’s unnecessary to declare not having a personal stake in recommendations - it should be taken as read.  I’ve noticed that they often do it on the Drascombe forum and I’ve never understood why.  Of course declare an interest where you have one but I should think that that would be a rare event.  As far as I know, none of us are parliamentary lobbyists. Although I used to live in the constituency of North Shropshire.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

PYoung

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2021, 21:10 »
Yes Graham. I toyed with the idea of adding the p.s. I wish I had a stake in them though, they seem to be doing very well!

I have nothing to compare with, but the D Splicer is a great tool. Very simple, but very effective.

They have a smart range of recycled poly ropes which is really great to see.

Keith P

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2021, 11:18 »
I have gathered together a lot of Fids, splicers etc over the years. Its a great dark evening pursuit, renewing lines etc. I have had a chat with my daughter who runs a Chandlery and she has offered a 10% discount for those Swallows who want to purchase the D Splicer etc. Here is are the details Contact is Zoe, at www.truenorthsailing.co.uk Tel : 01332 416412 Discount Code TNSSY21 -  Hope this helps