Author Topic: Bay Cruiser 23 ownership  (Read 1973 times)

Philip L

Bay Cruiser 23 ownership
« on: 21 Jan 2022, 15:37 »
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post and I wanted to start by thanking you all for helping to keep me sane during the long wait for my new boat due late summer.  Being able to read the posts and watch pictures and videos on the Facebook site has helped control the impatience while waiting. 
A couple of questions:-
Has anyone purchased the potholder option for the galley?  What are your thoughts and any pictures please.
Secondly, I have family living in Kendal so was thinking about inducting ourselves to the boat by mooring or berthing in the Lakes.  Windermere Marina Village is full this year and other Windermere sites are very expensive.  Don't fancy risking the frequent thefts from boats on a mooring or can anyone allay these fears.  Has anyone experience of keeping their boat somewhere on Ullswater?
Many thanks
BC 23 Saphira

Sea Simon

Re: Bay Cruiser 23 ownership
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2022, 13:45 »
Sorry, but a question for you rather than an answer... I can't help with this query.

You say delivery late summer, when did you order?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Philip L

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2022, 15:36 »
Hello Simon,
I’ve paid the deposit for the order on the 14th of September having ordered at the Southampton boat show a few days previously. I am hoping that the boat will be delivered in July July but trying not to get too excited in case the schedule skips.
If you are trying to get an idea of lead times, it’s best speaking to the yard as so much can change. Had I ordered before the boat show, I may have been 2-3 places ahead on the list. Also someone ahead of me may cancel in which case my moulding will be started sooner but I won’t get the boat delivered any sooner as boats are paired for building and I was paired with the possible cancellation. However the person behind me should experience an improved delivery time -hope I have explained this well enough.
Matt was showing boats in Düsseldorf in Feb but this has been cancelled- don’t know how this would affect the order book
BC 23 Saphira

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2022, 16:08 »
Thanks .

I was interested n reality v promises....

Looks like about a year wait then  ;)
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

MarkDarley

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2022, 18:28 »
I may depend on what hull color you request. 

In my case I ordered a black hull with cream waterline and unfinished timber.  I was expecting delivery in September but benefitted from the fact that Matt had a cancellation for an identical hull due earlier.  Assuming my sails get made in time (there is a worldwide shortage of cream cloth I have been told), I could get the boat as early as June.  So there is an element of luck involved......

So a cancelled order ahead of you, or indeed bad luck such as a boatyard fire (let's not have another of those), can make a huge and unpredictable difference.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!