Author Topic: Trail & Sail Christchurch and/or Poole - Any ideas?  (Read 17020 times)

Simon Knight

I am seeking some local knowledge as I would like to sail in the Christchurch / poole area and I gather that several forum members sail in Poole and/or Christchurch.  I should explain that I grew up in Southbourne and learnt to sail at the Marine Training Centre at Hengistbury Head.  My elderly parents still live in Tuckton and I would like to be able to do some sailing when I visit them.  Unfortunately my parent's property does not have any off road parking and I am not that happy to leave my boat and trailer parked on the road.  I have approached two of the boat yards in Christchurch, Elkins and Rositter Yatchs as possible locations to store my boat but they were not that keen explaining that they tend to operate on a full season basis rather than by the week.  Ideally I would like to be able to park my car and trailer near a slipway and be able to leave them there for several days (the public slips in Christchurch at the rowing club and at Mudeford limit trailer parking to a maximum of 36 hours).  Any ideas ?

best wishes
Simon
Bay Raider Carpe Diem
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Julian Swindell

Re: Trail & Sail Christchurch and/or Poole - Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2009, 09:34 »
Hi Simon,
I sail in Poole Harbour, keeping my boat on a mooring at Rockley Boat Yard. There are several places you can launch into the harbour, but your problem as always will be where to leave your car and trailer.
There is a slip at Rockley. It is quite expensive I think for a one off launch. You can park there and I have seen people leave a car a trailer overnight. I leave my car overnight every time I go, with no problem. The slip and car park are right at the back of a huge caravan park, and there is a night security patrol, so it is safer than most places. Mind you, I could leave the keys in my old Subaru and I don't think anyone would take it. I don't know if they would let you leave your car there for an extended period.
There is also a slip well up the Frome river towards Wareham where I think there may be quite a large field where you may be able to leave your car, but I have never used it.
Poole Harbour or Christchurch are ideal BayRaider waters. Loads of potential exploring and landing places.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Simon Knight

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2009, 10:04 »
Hi Julian,
Thanks for the information.  I will investigate Rockley Boat Yard and possibly some of the sailing clubs. 

Simon
Simon Knight

Peter Ivermee

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2009, 19:20 »
Hi Simon
Poole has far more to explore, but if your parents are in Tuckton you could try Gaisford Boat Yard, 13 Willow Way, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 1JJ 01202-485859.  They are a bit smaller than Rossiters and Elkins so may be more approachable.  There is also Nick Monks who has a very small yard on the harbour.  He is on 01202 485949.  He is the guy who places all the buoys in the entrance channel at Christchurch every spring.  He probably knows the harbour better than anyone and is also the man who is called out if a boat goes aground around here - he has massive kit for hauling it off.
Christchurch Bay and Poole Bay make for good sailing and there are plenty of good destinations Studland I.O.W. Keyhaven etc.
If you fail to find a solution to your problem e-mail me direct.
Regards
Peter

Simon Knight

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2009, 09:08 »
Peter,
Thanks for the information.  I will give both yards a call.

Thanks
Simon
Simon Knight

Julian Swindell

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2009, 09:42 »
Have a look at
http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk
Zoom in on the areas you are interested in and you can see most facilities. Some of it is out of date, but the slips on the Frome River are shown with phone numbers to mangers
Julian Swindell
Guillemot building blog

Martin Read

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2009, 15:33 »
Hi,
Just started sailing in Poole after many years away from the area.  Used to sail an Aries class from Strides boatyard in Mudeford.  They used to be helpful and I think they are still in business although I couldn't find a phone number.

Access in Poole seems to have gotten expensive. I have a mate who swears by Redcliffe Farm slipway up the Frome - 01929 552225.  He launches on a daily basis but they have rather rough and ready storage facilities.
Ridge Wharf is a real boatyard and more expensive: 01929 552650

Both these have the disadvantage of a longish haul up and down the Frome - easily an hour either way - which makes tide planning crucial. 
I tend to launch at Lake, which is free with real fisherfolk going about their business.  These guys are helpful as long as you don't get in their way, which is fair enough in my book, seeing as how they are actually earning a living rather than swanning about.  Lake is pretty basic and crowded offshore.  The slip is basic and I have had a real job recovering my Cormorant on occasion; I think I have it cracked now.  The Huntsman pub does a good lunch and their are several excellent fish and chip shops nearby.  Hamworthy Park is a real gem and even has a nice little beach, toilets and a cafe - bliss.

Otherwise Rockley (bottom of the hill just before you get to the place where they do all the courses) seems a good option.  Good facilities and helpful, but you may need to be off the water earlier than you'd like because of the yard closing up.

Perhaps we'll cross paths one day.  My Cormorant is called Zalophus and has a black hull and tan sails.  I'm also promising myself a mini-RAID from Mudeford to Lake one of these fine days!!

Good luck
Martin Read

Simon Knight

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2009, 10:42 »
Martin,
Thanks for the information.  I will join you in the mini Raid once I have sold my Drascombe Coaster and can give the Bayraider my full attention.

best wishes

Simon
Simon Knight

Julian Swindell

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2009, 12:54 »
I would be interested in any RAID near Poole, but I have a problem. The BayCruiser doesn't lend itself to rowing. I have tried to paddle it and managed to get 1kt (with tide) out of her. She could be rowed, I think, but you would need 12ft oars. where would you keep them.
I really need the wind.
Julian Swindell
Guillemot building blog

Brian Pearson

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2009, 22:53 »
Have you thought about Keyhaven? It's a lovely place to sail from, just a few miles along the coast from Christchurch, and you could leave your boat safely in West Solent Boatyard or on a temp mooring through arrangement with the River Warden.

The Western Solent is a great place to explore. On an incoming tide you can sail down to Newtown and back on the ebb, or on a mid day low head west into Alum Bay and the Needles.

To give you a flavour of just how nice it is, here is my photo record of a Potter to the River Yar a week ago in our Scows.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27848841@N05/3998807632/in/set-72157622431684741/

Simon Knight

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:26 »
Brian,

I love Keyhaven having visited it by Drascombe several times.  Am I correct in thinking that the boat yard is behind/inland of the two sailing clubs?

Simon
Simon Knight

Brian Pearson

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2009, 13:53 »
Yes, the boatyard is immediately behind the two sailing clubs, with direct access to the Quay launching ramps.

http://www.westsolentboatbuilders.co.uk/

Brian

Brian Pearson

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2009, 13:59 »
Come to think of it, the Shrimpers, Drascombes, and Memories all usually have a meet during the year at Keyhaven. It would be ideal for a south coast Swallow Boat meet. Good launching ramps, safe waters, though pretty shallow so events have to be planned around the tides. Storage for trailers, local campsites and lots to do for non sailors, particularly the sea wall walk into Lymington with SS bird santuaries all the way along.

Brian

Brian Pearson

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2009, 14:04 »
You could have a UK Raid, sail to Yarmouth and row up the Yar and back. Sail to Newtown and row to the pub, same with Beaulieu and back to Keyhaven. The Three Creeks Race might also suit. AShlett, Newtown and Wooton Creeks.

http://bursledonblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/three-creeks-race.html

Brian