Author Topic: Fitting Outboard motor lock on a BR20  (Read 1746 times)

garethrow

Fitting Outboard motor lock on a BR20
« on: 02 Mar 2022, 17:51 »
Does anyone have any useful tips for fitting an outboard motor lock onto the securing bolts / lugs for a 4/5/6hp Yamaha?

I have the common type of lock that is a stainless steel channel that fits over the winding lugs with a flat piece that then locks onto the channel encasing the lugs using a threaded tube that needs to locate onto a threaded bolt inside the channel. This is wonderfully easy to do when holding the devivce in your hand the right way up seated comfortably in ones armchair, but rather less so when upside down facing downwards in the BR20's sump. It needs to be upside down so that water drains out of the channel / lock rather than collecting in it. The two times I have tried to do this - has taken a very long time on my knees, involving much pain, cramp and colourful language. I have tried positioning a mirrior in the sump to try and see what I am doing, but find the inverted image tends to confuse me! I have tried looking for a better lock and failed to find one. As it is coming to the time of year when the season is within sniffing distance, I am winding my self up for an hour or two of knealt purgatroy - unless anyone has discoverd a cunning technique of knack for making this easier?? Am I being particularly inept or do others struggle with this seemingly 'simple' task??

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y Mor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Fitting Outboard motor lock on a BR20
« Reply #1 on: 02 Mar 2022, 20:40 »
Gareth,

In case no-one comes up with a solution for managing with your existing lock, which sounds a right pain, I have one of these https://outboardmotorlocks.co.uk/pages/slot-locks/95.  It’s not cheap but I think you can get a better price by shopping around.  You need to follow their recommendations on size - it looks like your version may be 170mm.  It’s installed by slipping the slotted cylinder sideways over the outboard’s two clamp toggles and it’s then locked in place with a keyed cap that fits over the cylinder’s open end.  It’s simple to install and is extremely robust.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 02 Mar 2022, 20:59 »
Coincidentally, like GW I too have a motor loc - on my BRe Honda 5.
Similar fitting issues i guess?
It's a very snug fit within the hulls motor-mount recess. Not a problem as mine stays in place all season, hence I see this as a security advantage!
Easy on, easy off?

Can vouch for this item, I've had several over the years (boat changes...not thefts!). Very well made, high quality. Works well. Secure. No rust, either externally, or in the lock mechanism.

I have the small square version too, on my tenders Honda 2.3. the motor on that also stays mounted all season, boat being left on the beach.
IMO, you'd need to do some significant damage (cordless grinder/sabre saw?) To get it off.

I wrap the motor toggles in fingers cut off  "examination gloves" so as to prevent rattles inside the lock body.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

garethrow

« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2022, 10:23 »
Thank you Graham / Simon - looks really good albeit a bit pricey - but better than kneeling for ages with my head in the sump trying to locate two theads together! I shall shop around to see what is available.

Regards

Gareth
RB20 Halan Y Mor