Author Topic: GRP Layer Composition / Mounting Hardware  (Read 1710 times)

globetrot

GRP Layer Composition / Mounting Hardware
« on: 12 Apr 2022, 11:56 »
I have scoured the forum and, perhaps I missed it, can't find information on the actual layer composition of the GRP deck on a BR20. Specifically, can anyone clarify the layer composition of the aft deck above the transom, on both sides of the mizzen mast? What is the core composition?

I am mounting a ladder in this area, and when drilling the pilot holes, I distinctly felt the drill bit go through at least two layers. I could also see two types of drill cuttings around the borehole. I assume there is a more rigid GRP exterior and a structural core.

Of course, I could always take the easy route and use a silicone sealant to coat the bolt and the underside of the hardware. But this is not the best way if there is a core that could absorb water. If the core can absorb water (even a little), I will drill the holes a bit larger than needed, fill them with epoxy to create a water-tight seal, let it cure, and then re-drill the holes for the actual bolts and use sealant.

Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Carbon fiber mizzen and mast - Bermuda-rig
Large conventionally sheeted jib with Barton furler on a fixed bowsprit

Llafurio

Re: GRP Layer Composition / Mounting Hardware
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2022, 14:41 »
As far as I can remember there is no water absorbing core like foam or balsawood. Of course, there is the outer cream colour gelcoat surface, and underneath the blue-green-grey GRP. In any case, when bolting something onto the deck, I recommend a spot of sealant/adhesive on the contact area surrounding the hole. not just for sealing but also for fastening against pulling forces.

BTW, there was a generation of "GRE" BRs, Glass Reinforced Epoxy. They had a hull of reinforced epoxy resin with a foam core, but then also a normal solid GRP cockpit and deck.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan