Author Topic: BRe Centreboard replacement seal  (Read 1746 times)

Roger A

BRe Centreboard replacement seal
« on: 09 May 2022, 11:56 »
Hello,

Having read all the very helpful posts on the subject of the BRe centreboard I am planning to try and remove the case top cover on my BRe 62. The centreboard is proving to be difficult to lift and I want to check the ropes and blocks.

My question is having removed the cover and carried out any repairs and improvements what is the best sort of  replacement seal to use?

Can anyone recommend a seal they have used which is easy to install, watertight, allows easy removal of the top cover and will stand the test of time?

Many thanks

Roger
Roger Acton
BRE 62 Aurora
Ex Tideway 12, Westerly Griffon, Etap 24, Cornish Coble

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: BRe Centreboard replacement seal
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2022, 17:28 »
I initially used bog standard silicone sealant, although not the structural stuff. But after I had to remove the cover a third or fourth time I didn't add new sealant (at least to the large sectionin the cockpit) and didn't have any problems. I think the old sealant had formed a kind of crude gasket.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2022, 19:09 »
I used a closed cell foam gasket strip, I think the same flat rectangular section as used on part of the cockpit locker seals. Stuck seal on the case. So far so good....
I also used silicon spray lube on the wood cap piece, hoping that this will prevent damage to the seal if/when removed...so that it should become a maintainable, resealable opening if needed.

The capping piece seals well enough, yet in a heavy sea, water now comes in around my bl00dy compass (mounted on capping top, aft), which i didn't seal!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

TimLM

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2022, 14:26 »
I did the same as Simon but changed from tapered screws to lost nuts and bolts. so far nothing comes up through.
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2022, 20:19 »
I have this week opened my board case, using only a screwdriver. The seal didn't stick to the capping and remained attached to the board case top,  and was undamaged as hoped for.
Cover back on easily enough, and still seals OK. Done in 15-20 mins with hand tools.

Didn't try to seal around the compass, as all was too wet, and I didn't fancy using "gutter goop" all weather sealant.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.