Author Topic: Replacement winch for my BRe trailer  (Read 1716 times)

BobT

Replacement winch for my BRe trailer
« on: 10 May 2022, 21:12 »
Its time to replace the single speed winch on my BRe's CLH trailer. I would like a two speed one as if there is any ballast left in its mighty hard work. Anyone any suggestions?
What load should I be looking at, what ratios would anyone suggest. Is it better to change the gear by moving the handle or a sliding shaft are just a few of the considerations I have been presented with whilst searching the internet.  Pros and cons of cable or strap would be interesting to hear as well. With regards price I am looking for the cheaper end of the market as nice as the Fulton FW32000101 F2 looks I dont see how I can justify it to the "accountant."

Regards to all,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Julian Merson

Re: Replacement winch for my BRe trailer
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2022, 08:36 »
Hi Bob,
When replacing the winch for my BC20, I went for this model, a Fulton 2600.  It was a bit of a shot in the dark, but it has been really good.  More than sufficient for my needs without having the feeling of being over-sized.
It makes recovery much more straightforward and is much more suitable than the rather inadequate single speed thing that I inherited.
https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/product/fulton-trailer-winch-model-2600/

Just as an aside, on this and notwithstanding the fact that the OP is about the BRE, whilst the BC20 is marketed for its lightness when unballasted, I found the trailer wholly inadequate  - far too small for what is still a much 'larger' boat than its claimed mass.  I've made various changes, including adding brakes.  But still feel the frame could do with beefing up.  For example, the additional hull size leads to much greater wind resistance when under tow, these are things which should be factored in when deciding on the trailer for boats, not just the mass of the empty boat.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

BobT

Re: Replacement winch for my BRe trailer
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2022, 17:47 »
Hi Julian,

Many thanks for your suggestion, most helpful in narrowing down the options. Hopefully I'll get a few more suggestions.

I too have had brakes added to my CLH trailer (by CLH) and they came with larger wheels. From Kent I have trailed up to Scotland, across to Wales and Cornwall along with a number of places closer to home and I have not had any problems though I would agree it does not look/feel the most robust of trailers.

As an aside and at the risk of taking this post off direction do you use a strap, cable or rope on the winch?

Bob
BRe "Escape"