Author Topic: Liferaft for BC23  (Read 1693 times)

MarkDarley

Liferaft for BC23
« on: 08 Jun 2022, 07:26 »
As I intend to go offshore as far as The Scillies, The Channel Islands and Brittany, once we are very familiar with the boat, I am looking for a compact 4 person Liferaft good for 50 miles offshore with expected rescue within 24 hrs (shipping lanes).

Has anyone already done the research and found one suited to our small boats, either for locker or on deck storage?

Thanks
Mark
“Pippin”, and soon “Foxwhelp”
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Rob Johnstone

Re: Liferaft for BC23
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2022, 14:55 »
Hi Mark,

I had a quick look for one when I took Vagabond round Britain 10 years ago and couldn't find one that was light enough and would fit anywhere sensible. I took the risk and went without one but I did carry a survival suit - trusting in the Fastnet lesson that your boat was your best life raft and assuming that a personal EPIRB would alert the rescue services in a reasonable time.

I only donned the survival suit once....and even then didn't have to put it to the test.

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"