Author Topic: Torn sail repairs  (Read 1692 times)

Michael Rogers

Torn sail repairs
« on: 23 Jun 2022, 12:14 »
Hallo, it's some considerable time since I contributed. I'm still here, still sailing my Trouper 12 around Studland and Poole - I was sailing in Poole Harbour yesterday actually, celebrating my 84th birthday (not really boasting, but thank you). Very interested to catch up on the electric outboard topic, because a fading breeze had me starting  a 2 mile row, terminated when the starboard chunk of hardwood supporting the rowlock pin snapped in half (repairable). I think my rowing (as opposed to sailing) days probably ought to be over. Anyway, I got enough evening breeze after that to get me home.

Sorry, enough of all that. Here's my technical problem. I was chagrined to find three small tears in the sail yesterday. All within a 10 cm square, ragged, look as if the sail had snagged on something sometime, no idea how it happened. Not in a critical area, near the luff. The sail is 11 seasons old. I don't think UV degradation has to do with it - except when I'm actually out sailing, it's always under a thick cover.

Provisional plan (subject to the collective wisdom of the Forum) - send the sail for professional repair next winter. Any views on where to go? Meanwhile, treat the tear edges with something to stop them getting worse. I thought a smidgen of low viscosity superglue. My wife suggested nail varnish, which could be removed with acetone.

Suggestions please. Thank you. And cheers

Michael Rogers (junk rigged Trouper 12 - but a Swallowboat/yacht for all that)

Sea Simon

Re: Torn sail repairs
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2022, 08:24 »
I think I'd use some "proper" sail repair adhesive tape for your job, assuming its isolated local damage of an otherwise OK sail?
It will provide some sort of reinforcement/protection too.

Many congratulations on the birthday, btw!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Torn sail repairs
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2022, 08:40 »
Michael,

Many happy returns!

I agree with Simon about using sail repair tape as a temporary measure.  I’d be worried that chemicals (especially acetone) might melt the sail.

Various companies offer winter sail valeting services.  They would give your sail a thorough clean and inspection, looking for small tears and loose seams and repair same.  Wilkinsons near me in Kent do this and I’m sure that there must be similar companies near you.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III