Author Topic: Jib Sheet Cleats on BC23  (Read 1871 times)

BC23 Skylark

Jib Sheet Cleats on BC23
« on: 05 Aug 2022, 17:22 »
I am the new owner of Skylark (31) & sailed her twice so far. In a gentle force 2-3 the clutch type jib sheet cleats were fine. In a brisk force 5 I found them almost impossible to release when bearing off from a beat to a reach & had to stand on the cockpit seats to get any sort of purchase.
Is it a question of putting a wedge under the cleats to bring the cleating angle of the sheet down, or would it be better to have normal Harken jam cleats?

MarkDarley

Re: Jib Sheet Cleats on BC23
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2022, 19:01 »
I have just doubled the purchase on the sheets on my new BC23 because my wife could not release them in 18 knots of breeze. I used a high load ring on the jib clew and lead the sheet back to an eye in the deck block traveler. It’s works well.
Search
“high load low friction eye/ring”
On Google and you will find what you need.
It is better than blocks because the blocks will beat up your mast on every tack.
Best of luck.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2022, 19:18 »
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Paul vR

« Reply #3 on: 08 Aug 2022, 16:12 »
Interesting, in strong winds we occasionally have the same problem. Could you share a picture of the set-up to double the purchase?
BC23 #39 "Aderyn"

mainecoast

« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2022, 11:30 »
I swapped out mine a couple years ago for Spinlock PXR cleats with a swivel base.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1%7C118%7C2358482%7C2358485&id=649023

They work pretty well and eliminate the issue nearly completely.

The challenge I have is that my jib sheets are about a mm too thick for ideal operation and I am seeing some wear on the sheath.  It may be a matter of going down a mil on the sheet diameter but I would not wish to go too small since the smaller sheets can be tough on the hands.

Pete

BC23 Corvus

BC23 Skylark

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2022, 20:18 »
Thank you for your replies. Doubling the purchase on the jib sheets would certainly seem a good solution.

tcave

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2022, 23:21 »
Similar issue with job sheets on my BRe. I replaced the original elvstrom cleats with spinlock pxr. Works great, but does put a bit more wear on the sheets.