Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

Rutland Recommendations

<< < (3/3)

Conor:
Hi,

We will be there tomorrow, probably arriving between 10 and 11. Still a bit of a discussion about whether we goto RSC or Whitwell, would prefer RSC but the ambiguity of pricing is putting me off.

Hopefully see you there or on the water

MarkF:
Hi Conor,

regrettably, we decided today that we would postpone our Rutland trip for another weekend (hopefully very soon).  The wind where we are has been too gusty and the forecast on the lake looks very similar.  Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Were this not our first outing, we would be there, as the sailing conditions look excellent. I hope you have an enjoyable day and with luck we'll meet up another time.  I'd be interested to hear which location you choose to launch from.

Conor:
Hi Mark

I totally understand, it is worth staying inside the comfort zone while getting used to it. We sailed with mizzen and jib only with the ballast tank full the first couple of times out to build confidence.

Conor:
Had a great visit to Rutland today and thought I would share for anyone else heading there.

We sailed from the sailing club, and it was £40 for a cruiser or dayboat, £26 I think for a dinghy. It is more expensive than Whitwell but the facilities etc were very good. It is less per day if you go for a weekend or week.

We talked to a few of the people working there and they all were incredibly friendly and helpful. We had a choice of where to launch from so went from the cruiser area in the bay which was a very easy launch. Some of the members came along to say hello and help us get her out of the water. The onshore facilities were great, the restaurant is open Thursday to Sunday and Thursday lunch was £5 for a really good meal

The lake seems perfect for the Bayraider, a few different areas giving different conditions and a couple of options to anchor/moor. As this was my first foray into trailer sailing I lost a lot of time getting my boat packed up to get there, rigging and packing away so didn't get as much time on the water as I would have liked but that was mostly due to me needing to learn a few things. Rigging and derigging, packing and unpacking are remarkably easy, even if I did manage to make it complicated!

I am already considering doing a weekend there either onboard or in the campsite next door

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version