Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

Rutland Recommendations

<< < (2/3) > >>

MarkF:
Thank you for all the incredibly helpful responses.

We will certainly keep an eye on the wind to avoid turning the day into an impromptu raid!

I was concerned about congestion at Whitwell. Keeping well clear of people is a priority until we’ve got used to handling her.

RSC got back to me quoting £40 for a day launch, £66 for two.

J P Thompson:
The one thing that would swing it for me is the Aqua Park at Whitwell that occupies the area around the slipway, at weekends it becomes extremely busy. Launching at the sailing club would be a more relaxed affair unless there is a major event on, this would be listed on the club’s website calendar.

Nicky R:
The aqua park is busy I agree, but people are kept off the slipway. There are big gates to close off the slipway most of the time so people can walk across to the aqua park without being run over by people launching, but the water centre staff swing them over the pedestrian access points when you’re ready to launch to keep the slipway free of people. (Or at least that’s what they did for us last year.

There are advantages and disadvantages with both sites - I guess it just depends on what your concerns are. Whitwell suits those of us who want to launch more cheaply, but the sailing club may be quieter. Whichever you chose, Rutland is a lovely lake to sail on and I hope you really enjoy it.

Conor:
Hi Mark

I am not sure if you have planned your Rutland sail yet but I am planning on taking my BR20 up on Thursday 1June. If you are going to be around please say hello. I have only sailed it 3 times so far so still figuring things out, but am very impressed so far.

If anyone else happens to be around then similarly please say hello.

Cheers
Conor

MarkF:
Hi Conor,

Our plan is to go on Thrs & Friday this week.  However, the wind is looking stronger than anticipated last week.  It's currently forecast to be at the top of F3, which is of course fine for the boat, but may be a bit strong for us for an initial sail, as it's supposed to be gusting over 20knts.

We will decide what to do over the next day - if we make it there, we'll definitely come and say hello! 

Nicky - thank you for the info about access at Whitwell.  I must admit to being a bit disheartened by the one day launching charge at RSC.  However, for 2 days it seems like a more economical option, as they said they were happy for us to leave the boat there overnight.  I'll let you know if that's the case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version