Author Topic: Orca attacks  (Read 3223 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Orca attacks
« on: 25 Jun 2023, 18:40 »
An Orca is reported to have repeatedly rammed a small yacht which was on its way to Norway from Lerwick in the Shetlands.  The lone sailor said that the most terrifying thing about the attack wasn’t the actual ramming but the sound of the Orca’s heavy breathing.

This sounds like a different type of attack to the frequent ones reported off the Atlantic coasts of Spain and Portugal, especially near Gibraltar, where munching on the rudder seems to be the order of the day.  In the unlikely event of me ever being attacked like that in my BR20, at least I could raise the rudder out of the way.

A new theory to account for the seasonality of the rudder-munching (it’s mainly in high summer) could be that the Orcas are following Bluefin Tuna prey as they migrate through the Straits of Gibraltar up to the Bay of Biscay at that time of year.  Before we get too complacent in UK waters, it’s worth remembering that enormous Bluefin Tuna (up to 400kg) used to be common hereabouts, especially in the seas off Lincolnshire.  They now appear to be making a comeback in the North Sea and off Cornwall, which is good news.  Probably.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

Re: Orca attacks
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2023, 19:13 »
We had an Orca around in Cardigan Bay last year. Whilst some were enthusiastic about this, I was less so, and am happy to confine my Orca watching activity to David Attenborough programmes on the TV!

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor ex S17 Gwennol Teifi

Sea Simon

Re: Orca attacks > Killer Whales?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2023, 20:41 »
Personally, I don't  want to be close to any animal (or anything at all, for that mater) that may be 30ft long, weigh 6 tonnes and moves randomly.
Add to that razor sharp teeth and a liking for human size/shape snacks...seals?

They did a terrific job of re-branding "Killer Whales".
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2023, 22:26 »
No Orca in Carsington Reservoir. (Quite often there's no water, either.) However, rumour has it that there are some pretty aggressive trout. No doubt annoyed at being caught and returned time after time. 

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2023, 20:43 »
As Vagabond and I were motoring between Orkney and Cape Wrath (one foggy still day several years ago) a tall Orca fin flapped through the surface about 40 yards ahead with a big snort. "Go away, you're bigger than me", I said. It did. I was pleased.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2023, 08:42 »
I've had many fairly close encounters  over the years.
In small racing dinghies,  most probably wiith porpoises or perhaps small dolphins?

More recently in Covid times (hence MUCH more wildlife hereabouts, as few people - tbh it was glorious. Otters, Ospreys too and several large seals) We had a very close encounter in the river here while sailing (ghosting down with the tide) in the BRe, with what we initially  thought could have been an Orca. It seemed HUGE, and within 12 feet of the boat! See above re scariness.
Turned out we perhaps had come across an adult white beaked dolphin? It looked very different  to the other dolphins/porpoises we have seen.

Talking of scariness...otters, Ospreys and dolphins not seen again once the hordes arrived!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Tony

« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2023, 23:41 »
Perhaps you don't want to attract the attention of very large sea mammals when sailing a small boat but I was shown how to attract their more amenable small cousins. Fishermen in the Ionian clean their nets as they recover them by hammering the detritus against the gunnels with a wooden club. The odd fish escapes the net at the last minute during the process and the local dolphins have learned to associate the two. Sail out a few hundred yards off shore, heave to and hammer on the side of your boat. If there are any dolphins in the area they will come alongside  in the hope of a free meal. Being good natured beasts they won't chew your rudder off if no fish are forthcoming. 

Llafurio

« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul 2023, 13:33 »
Three weeks ago, in a Drascombe Rally here on west Kenmare Bay, we met Gannets, Seals, Porpoises, Minke whales and one Sea Eagle. No casualties on our side though, -Drascombes have mild steel centerplates and rudderblades- but they took major bites out of the local lshoals of Mackerel and sprat.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Matthew P

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2023, 12:03 »
A gentle giant chose to briefly accompany our small flotilla enroute to Barra in 2019.

See https://youtu.be/d-fjxM09atE

Please ignore the poor quality framing and unnecessary audio that I can't get YouTube to omit.

We made no effort to pursue or interfere with it.

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter