Author Topic: Swinging mooring (2)  (Read 7679 times)

Mark Henderson

Swinging mooring (2)
« on: 03 Jul 2023, 13:23 »
Hi all
I am trying to reduce the yawing effect on my (new to me but already much loved) 2015 BRE 20 as I'm on a swinging mooring with quite a bit of exposure to passing speed boats and general wind and tides.
Clearly getting the tension right on the shrouds is of paramount importance - presumably pretty tight, particularly on the port and starboard sides.
I am then triangulating the boom to stop it swinging.
I am now experimenting with taking the stack pack off - reducing the impact of the wind on yawing - but that's a bit of a hassle..
Does anyone have some advice on reducing yawing and/or risk of damage to the tabernacle/worst case: dismasting?
Mark (new owner of Demelza)

Blair+Kate Jam

Re: Swinging mooring (2)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2023, 17:13 »
Hello, Next year I may be in a similar situation. I did wonder about dropping the mast and tying it down ... I don't see anyone doing that so it is a terrible idea I guess but I'd be interested to know why it isn't a solution.
I look forward to reading any replies you get!
Best regards, Blair

Mark Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2023, 08:14 »
An update. Although it seems one could moor the boat with the mast down it's not a very good idea. It's fiddly and re-erecting the mast in open waters is tricky and possibly dangerous. I think the answer is to leave the stack pack on - helps keep the boat into the wind, reducing swing - secure the boom (main halyard fixed to the clew end and make sure you hang onto it while moving it from tack to clew and vice versa...hope I have my terminology right...as catching a swinging halyard in a high wind and choppy sea is horrible) and also secure the boom tying it off to a cleat on each side to eliminate swing. Then just make sure your shrouds are secure, keep and rudder up and hopefully she'll be ready for stormy weather. If in doubt, take her out.
My one remaining question is strop configuration, for which I'm going to open a fresh post.

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2023, 17:57 »
Funny old thing...
See other post re stackpack on swinging mooring in high winds..

Saturdays gales here (Nearby Polruan NCI RECORDED GUSTS OF OVER 60 KNTS) Older BR 20 moored not far from me (NOT Gladys! She was ok) Name and owner unknown, lost his main mast, sail etc over the side due to some sort of rig failure it appears.
I was told the wreckage was recovered off the sand banks at low tide and put back aboard, by dog walkers acting as salvors.

Nearby Wayfarer blown over and swamped.

We actually had surf breaking on the sandbanks in the river,  with the first of the big spring flood being against the wind. Luckily the wind moderated a little  before the biggest tidal flow.

So, be prepared, even in Cornwall in August!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

tcave

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2023, 06:49 »
I keep a BRe with stackpack at keyhaven on the Solent on a swinging mooring. It does swing around a bit, but I think this is just due to the rudder and centreboard being fully retracted. (Also seen on sun 2000s with similar configuration).

My main mast has been fine for seven years like this with no "special" arrangements. However my missen once blew down due to high wind damage. - I now take it down, - poke the bottom end through the rudder hole in the transom and lash the top to the winch.

Llafurio

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2023, 09:17 »
You can reduce the swinging angle -a bit- by tying the main boom to one side, away from the centreline.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan