Author Topic: Lockers and registration numbers  (Read 5313 times)

Conor

Lockers and registration numbers
« on: 10 Jul 2023, 19:36 »
Hi

A couple of daft questions for those that have probably solved these problems before.

I need to display a registration number for Windermere. How do people display the numbers without permanently attaching them?

Also there aren't any catches for the lockers, just a hole going through the lid and the inside lip. Can anyone advise what catches would work to secure the lockers?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers

Conor
New BR 20 sailor

dermot

Re: Lockers and registration numbers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2023, 10:50 »
I used a piece of plastic board, about 5mm think, cut to size, and with 2 strings attached and hung over the gunwale. From memory I had to shop around a bit until I found something I was convinced wouldn’t be absorbent, I may have got it from an art & craft shop in the end, it’s a sort of closed-foam mounting board - sorry I can’t be more specific. Photo attached - Windermere on one side, Loch Lomond on the other!

Also photo attached of locker catches, mine seem to be fitted a bit squint, they do the job and can be locked, but there may be better alternatives. The yard also supply a kit to seal the lockers lids if not done already, for me this provided a bit of resistance for the catches and made them more secure.

Conor

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2023, 22:27 »
Thanks for the pics Dermot, that number boards looks perfect, I'll try to rig up something like that.

My lockers just have a single hole so it looks they must have used different catches.

Thanks again!
New BR 20 sailor

Conor

« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2023, 18:51 »
I ordered some boards for the registration but they didn't arrive in time. I ended up ordering this last minute and trimmed it to fit between the gunnels and rubbing strake. It worked perfectly, removable registration numbers without a loose board.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C85YJQSG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

For the lockers I ended up with these which are a bit long but do the trick
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1GX69GY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
New BR 20 sailor

MarkF

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2023, 12:14 »
Hi Conor, your registration film idea looks good.  My only concern is how strong the glue is on the gelcoat. 

Does it peel off without leaving a residue? And how long did you leave it on for?  A couple of days may be fine, but I wonder if it adheres strongly after a longer period of time?
BR20 Gunter-rigged

Conor

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2023, 21:59 »
Hi,

It was on the water for a couple of weeks and it was at least a further two weeks before I removed it. There was no residue, just a bit cleaner 😉. I am hoping I can reuse them the next time I go to Windermere.

Although the ad says self adhesive, they are the static films so there is no glue as such.
New BR 20 sailor