Author Topic: John Westoby  (Read 7960 times)

Matthew P

John Westoby
« on: 22 Jul 2023, 19:29 »
John sadly passed away this week after a long illness.  He was a scholar and gentleman - a cliché but true.  As a young man he was a farmer before becoming an academic psychologist. Gentle, sagacious, often humorous and always good company.

John and Linda shared with us many happy Swallow Boat meetings in England and cruising adventures in Scotland in his BR20 ("Ella") and subsequently their BRe ("Red Ella"). It's hard not to smile when I think of the things we did together. Linda intends to continue sailing with us.

Our hearts go out to Linda and his family including many grandchildren.

For the time being, the family have asked that we confine ourselves to remembering John on this forum and avoid other social media.   

Matthew

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Nicky R

Re: John Westoby
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2023, 22:32 »
I’m very sorry to hear the news. John was a lovely man and I have very fond memories of racing their BR20 Ella when we had our BRE. They were almost impossible to beat, particularly when the oars came out!
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2023, 11:28 »
John was really excellent company and he and Linda were welcome wherever they went.  I'll never forget the wonderful adventures that we had together, not least our stormy circumnavigation of Mull https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=1535.  And our many close races against each other in Sail Caledonia and elsewhere.  John latterly wasn't in good enough health to continue sailing and had to give up Red Ella but he and Linda wanted to be kept up to date with whatever adventures we were planning next.  I'm very pleased to hear that Linda wants to keep up the sailing with us.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2023, 21:01 »
I'm sorry to hear the news. I first met John on Sail Caledonia. An avid competitor with Ella on the water and good company off it.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

MarkDarley

« Reply #4 on: 02 Aug 2023, 10:41 »
I am very sorry to hear about John’s passing. I knew he was fighting a loosing battle and with good humor. I much enjoyed his company. I am the Swallow fleet will miss him.  I hope Linda will continue to share our company. 
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

WestWittering

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2023, 21:00 »
It is so sad to hear this news.

We were lucky enough to become the next owners of Ella and her name lives on.

I share her with my brother and our families.  She is kept in West Wittering where we grew up.  We both have 2 little boys and we hope Ella will inspire them to love sailing.