Author Topic: BC23 jib-forestay connect  (Read 2168 times)

Paul vR

BC23 jib-forestay connect
« on: 04 Aug 2023, 09:12 »
On our BC23 the stainless-steel triangle that connects the forestay, the jib and the halyard shows some wear around one of the shackles (see picture). Have others observed this as well and is it something to replace at some stage, or nothing to worry about? Thanks, Paul.
BC23 #39 "Aderyn"

Sea Simon

Re: BC23 jib-forestay connect
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2023, 18:19 »
Afraid I'm  not familiar with your set up, so due to lack of expert responses so far,  I'd  add, fwiw...

I guess... right hand, grey dyneema is forestay?
Left lower, s steel furler swivel head?
Left upper, yellow white jib halyard?

That worn connx plate part looks custom, and if not expensive, perhaps difficult to obtain?
It appears to be holding up the jib, rather than the mast?

Probably ok as is, for now at least..but that wear needs stopping...and all those shackles mousing!

Can you fit a bigger shackle to spread the load? I guess limited by size of furler head swivel hole?

I'd Line the connx plate and/or shackle pin with something softer and sacraficial to take the wear. Nylon Bush?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.