Author Topic: Losing my bobstay!  (Read 2972 times)

Mark Henderson

Losing my bobstay!
« on: 15 Aug 2023, 17:26 »
Good afternoon all
Last week the staple holding the shackle on the bowsprit failed in fairly high winds while I was on a swinging mooring - as a result the mast fell back and the tabernacle was damaged. It appears this was caused by the mooring lines bashing against the bob-stay - I have two to keep her steady but they do swing against the bobstay. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution. Mooring off the staple/fixing at the waterline at the stem isn't really feesible as we gain access via my club's launch - and trying to get to it would be impossible without risking damage to the bowsprit.
Any advice out there?

Best wishes Mark

MarkDarley

Re: Losing my bobstay!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2023, 18:30 »
Which boat, and do you have a fixed bowsprit?
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Mark Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2023, 22:37 »
Hi Mark, it's a Bay raider Expedition  2017.
The bowsprit is fixed - bolted to the superstructure and held down by the Bob stay.
Hope that makes sense.
Any advice gratefully received...

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2023, 08:18 »
When you say the staple "failed" what exactly  do you mean? Not clear to me.
Photos?
A mechanical or materials failure?

If the metal failed, imho...you're going to need to replace all similarly critical shackles and or staples with high quality parts. Buy only Wichard, Harken, Selden or similar branded items. From a reputable supplier, not ebay. The Wichard ones are usually stamped.

Imho, the stem winching eye is best NOT used for primary mooring. I think that it's intended use is winching, and even then should be at least slacked off when trailing, fluctuating  loads being taken by lashings on to the boat hull.

When moored, the fluctuating loads, including snatch loads if the mooring comes up tight, may not even be in correct alignment. This must really load the eye differently than intended?
If the stem eye is loaded like this, it will not be an easy repair when it fails. Likely to damage the hull, with attendant risk of flooding?

If you search, I  made a long post about mooring to a buoy, with lots of photos.

Personally, I only used the stem eye for my "storm chain", a last resort attachment. Routine mooring loads being taken by the deck side cleats via a two leg strechy rope bridle, so as to split and dampen that load further.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Mark Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2023, 14:48 »
Dear Simon
My apologies for not replying earlier.
I probably have used the wrong term but by staple I mean the fitting onto which the shackle fits. Attached is an image of the bowsprit as it was after the incident - there's a staple above but none below. It appears to have either sheered or completely pulled out from its plate due either a) to the sideways bashing received from my two strops by which the boat is moored - I can't use the staple on the stem as access is too difficult and anyway as far as I am aware  I should not use it as a primary mooring point b) the jarring of the boat when moored as it rises and falls causing the "staple" to come out from the plate by which it was attached.
Any advice, gratefully received.
I'm begining to feel that leaving a BRE on a mooring in any strong winds/tides is unwise - but berths in Poole are hard to come by.
Best wishes

Mark