Author Topic: Winch for mainsail  (Read 3010 times)

Mark Henderson

Winch for mainsail
« on: 15 Aug 2023, 17:30 »
Does anyone have a winch set up for their mainsail? I'm finding ours tough to raise (I'm reasonably senior but not weak). If so, could you post an image? I have a BRE20 and the set up seems to require the main halyard be starbord side. The boat (2nd hand) does have a winch set up port-side but this appears to be for raising the mast via the jib.

Sea Simon

Re: Winch for mainsail
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2023, 19:45 »
Imho,  you really shouldn't  need to winch up a BRex mainsail. It's not heavy.

It must be binding somewhere.
Also beware that the mast head sheave is very small, and "angry" sharp. Doesn't  take much to damage the halyard. Sheave on mine was stbd side.

They are several posts on here about this topic. Search.

Start with being sure all the sail slides, especially  those at batten ends, are OK.
Clean the mast groove, then lubricate it and slides with silicone spray or similar.

I only really used the winch to tension the jib halyard, hopefully having remembered to ease it after every sail (when left mast up, sail furled).
...and to set up mast/shroud tension onto the forestay (usually via the spinni halyard) when erecting the mast.

A clamcleat power grip handle is adequate to set up main halyard tension.

Do you have a cunningham? If not, fit one.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Willie The Rut Lander

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2023, 10:38 »
Mark - I agree with Simon; winch should not be required.
I struggle a bit with hoisting my main and haven't quite got to the bottom of it (new-ish boat to me). The obvious points to consider are all the following fully eased: main sheet, kicker and all reefing lines. Next: are the sliders running freely (I haven't yet tried lubricant but probably will), some of mine catch about 30cm above the boom. I also think that if you pre-tension the forestay it creates too much bend in the mast which doesn't match the straight luff of the main. Therefore, if you want more rig tension, tension the forestay after hoisting the main. Also, I made the mistake once of having the jib boom topping lift too tight before tensioning the forestay which caused lots of problems, so tension that last if you have one - but that's another matter.
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

garethrow

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2023, 18:49 »
Hard luck - it happens to us all!

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Mark Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2023, 22:33 »
Thanks chaps....much appreciated! Will follow your advice.
All the best