Author Topic: BayRaider (GRP) Ballast Tank Emptying  (Read 22944 times)

Simon Knight

Re: BayRaider (GRP) Ballast Tank Emptying
« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:58 »
Hi Julian,

I just about to depart for Swallow Boats to have amongst other things a bilge pump fitted.  Did you get the link to some raid pictures I posted on Flickr?  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtidsskids/

Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2010, 13:32 »
Having read all these comments and wishing to overcome the following :-

impossible access to activate front self bailers when sailing single handed
When front bailers opened very poor empty rate performence
When one front hatch opened, valve opened, hatch closed the suction makes it difficult to open the other hatch.
When putting the boat back on the trailer if you forget to open the large hatch you have to winch the boat with full tanks.

So can i learn from your experince to fit the three "bungs" which make, model of bung is best (i can see advantages in a valve) for my arrangement is best, can i have some measurements to guide me on where to drill the openings for the bungs to prevent me from going to high/low.
Do you need to install an air vent to overcome vacuum build up in the tank.
I have installed the whale pump on the transom, with a strum box just above the sump sole so i will use that for now and the single workshop fitted self bailer.

Thanks
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Craic

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2010, 15:20 »
Peter,
you may want to read pages 4 and 5 of this thread http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,52/expv,0/topic,198.45
in which some of your questions are answered.
Sorry, I cannot give precise measurements where to insert the drain bungs. 'the big one in the centre and the two smaller ones as far out each side as possible, and all as low as possible.' All very much up to your own skills and tools.

Simon Knight

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2010, 08:20 »
Peter,
I must be fortunate with Carpe Diem as she does not seem to suffer from the ballast tank woes that you describe in your post.  I hope that you don't mind but I have taken each of your points and added my own comments. 

"impossible access to activate front self bailers when sailing single handed"
Not impossible just inconvenient.

"When front bailers opened very poor empty rate performence"
The bailers flow rates are fine if the boat is moving fast enough.  There is a Catch 22 here as when you start sailing at speed there is a good chance that the wind is getting stronger which makes the single hander start thinking of filling the ballast tank (well this single hander anyway!).

"When one front hatch opened, valve opened, hatch closed the suction makes it difficult to open the other hatch."
I think that sand and dirt in the threads of the hatch are a far bigger problem.  I also believe that it unlikely that the bailers will have the power to make opening the hatch difficult.  The hatches fitted in Carpe Diem only become sealed when they are fully closed.  I tend to open the bailers and then just start the hatch lids on their threads making it easier to access the bailers to close them later.

"When putting the boat back on the trailer if you forget to open the large hatch you have to winch the boat with full tanks."  There is not a problem in winching the boat out with water in the ballast tank; the winch, boat and trailer are all up to the task.

Swallow Boats have just fitted a pump and a single bung to Carpe Diem, I will post some pictures and let you know how well the system works once I have had a chance to use it.

best wishes
Simon
Simon Knight

Craic

« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2010, 20:41 »
[quote author=Simon Knight link=topic=341.msg1566#msg1566 date=128237522
Swallow Boats have just fitted a pump and a single bung to Carpe Diem, I will post some pictures and let you know how well the system works once I have had a chance to use it. best wishes Simon

Hi Simon, I am very keen to hear what you think about the sump bung emptying system. Though, as I understand you do not also have the two MINI selfbailers, the airvent in the tank, and not the two smaller bungs on either side of the bung, so maybe you cannot enjoy the full advantages yet.

My idea is to recommend to Matt to change the emptying system of all future BRs, as the sump gravity draining through the bungs works a lot better, and not having selfbailers inside the tank means there cannot be leaks from them.

C.

Simon Knight

« Reply #20 on: 01 Sep 2010, 07:20 »
Claus,

I hope to get out in my boat in the next couple of weeks (when the kids are back in school) and I will submit my findings then.  However, I do like the idea of being able to empty the tank while on a mooring while sitting at the helm.

Off topic - where do you sail in Eire?

best wishes
Simon
Simon Knight

Craic

zQYPIrgPuQKTx
« Reply #21 on: 02 Sep 2010, 09:15 »

Simon Knight

« Reply #22 on: 02 Sep 2010, 11:00 »
Claus,
It looks like great small boat waters - my wife has relations in Macroom, so I may tow the boat across on the next visit so that I can escape to the water when it all gets to much!

Simon
Simon Knight