Author Topic: Friction on mast from jib halyard tensioner shackle and block - BR20  (Read 5520 times)

globetrot

BR20 - traditional sloop with no spar

I'm noticing that the end of the jib halyard tensioner that attaches to the mast base, just above the step rubs on the mast. The friction is so great that eventually serious damage will be done to the mast. This issue is brought on by the fact that the halyard tensioner is parallel to the mast and especially when under pressure, the block and parts of the shackle press up agains the mast.

The problem is even more concerning because my mast is carbon fiber and not fit for this kind of wear.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this issue?
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Carbon fiber mizzen and mast - Bermuda-rig
Large conventionally sheeted jib with Barton furler on a fixed bowsprit

garethrow

I haven't noticed this type of wear on my mast, but will have a good look next week!

Gareth Rowlands
grp BR20 Halen Y Mor

RogerLennard

Hello,
I've just taken this shot from a video I had of my jib tensioner. It looks like the metal parts are not in contact with the mast.

Best regards

Roger

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
My boat doesn’t have a jib halyard tensioner, which must be a later development.  However, comparing Roger’s photo with Globetrot’s, it looks like getting rid of the lower shackle and attaching the lower block directly to the lacing eye would solve both problems.  It would involve a bit of disassembly and reassembly of the block head and would end with the block rotated through 90°.  When disassembling, it’s very easy to lose the little black plastic spacers!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

globetrot

Hello,
I've just taken this shot from a video I had of my jib tensioner. It looks like the metal parts are not in contact with the mast.

Best regards

Roger

Thank you Roger, especially for the photo. Your solution seems like it does the trick.

In a pinch I also came up with another solution. I replaced the D-shackle with a twisted D-shackle so now the block isn't poking its pointy bits into the mast. An additional advantage is the jib halyard tensioner remains a removable piece of equipment, which is preferable when de-rigging.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

RogerLennard

Just one extra thing... I made this 'boot' for the lower parts of the mast. The idea was that it would keep the ropes tidy and out of the elements, when the boat is in the boat park. It also stops the ropes and metal parts from flogging against the mast. It seems to do its job well.

globetrot

To hope close out this topic, I wanted to do a follow-up to my original post. I've made a few modifications to help alleviate the friction on the carbon-fiber mast. Remember, I wanted to ensure the jib halyard tensioner remained easily detachable, so I added a Wichard self-locking twisted shackle and replaced the stock RWO double block with a harken carbo block with softer edges and no metal parts touching the mast. I'm still not 100% satisfied, but I am no longer concerns about a hole being gouged into the mast.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Willie The Rut Lander

Hi globetrot
Perhaps a soft shackle would be inexpensive and kind to your mast.
Willie
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

globetrot

Hi globetrot
Perhaps a soft shackle would be inexpensive and kind to your mast.
Willie

Yes, I was thinking of adding this. Thank you.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP