Author Topic: Storm 15 Rigging  (Read 6157 times)

TDCatt

Storm 15 Rigging
« on: 04 Sep 2023, 20:50 »
Hi,

I am the very new (and excited!) owner of a Storm 15 - I believe the fourth owner of this boat which was originally built by Steve Joyce in 2011. It was fantastic to turn up some photos of the build elsewhere on this forum.

Would anybody be able to help me with a 'how to' guide for rigging and de-rigging a Storm 15? I have no prior experience of Swallow Yachts so all advice is most welcome.

I have tried contacting Swallow Yachts themselves with this request but understand from them that due to the time that has past since they were last making these kits they no longer have any instructions or guide for rigging to hand. They did however recommend trying the Association :-)

Thanks for your help.

Tim

garethrow

Re: Storm 15 Rigging
« Reply #1 on: 05 Sep 2023, 17:49 »
Hi Tim

I had a Storm 17 for years - brilliant boat - but a little different to a S15. Others therefore better placed to comment - but would help for detail of your boat - what sort of rig is it - as they came in various forms I think?

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
ex S17 Gwennol Teifi, grp BR20 Halen Y Mor

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Storm 15 Rigging
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2023, 15:59 »
Tim,

I’m not better placed to comment but that has never previously stopped me!

The photos of the Storm 15 that Steve Joyce posted here ten years ago show that it had an unstayed mast, gunter-rigged mainsail and self-tacking jib.  A search on Google for images of other Storm 15’s has so far only turned up gunter-rigged versions.  One photo showed the mainsail rigged on what looked like the wrong (port) side of its sprit boom!  I wonder if they noticed that it sailed better on one tack than the other?

If the boat’s set up has not changed since then, rigging it is not going to be dissimilar to that of older BR20’s, but without shrouds or the complication of a mizzen.  You could have a look at a BR20 manual to give you a general idea of what goes where https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/BayRaider-June2010.pdf.

Hopefully a rare Storm 15 owner will come along is due course to offer more detailed advice.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III