Author Topic: Sleeping in a BRe cockpit  (Read 3669 times)

Rich Maynard

Sleeping in a BRe cockpit
« on: 06 Sep 2023, 22:42 »
Does anyone have any photos of their BRe cockpit sleeping platform arrangements?

Thank you!

Nicky R

Re: Sleeping in a BRe cockpit
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2023, 21:24 »
No photos, but I can describe it. We had bed slats that rested on the handles for the cockpit lockers. (We had to trim their ends a little bit so they were the right length.) There were two lengths of webbing that the slats were attached to to keep them equally spaced. We put two pad eyes onto the wooden outboard support and two at the other end of the cockpit, and tied the end slats onto them to stop to stop the slats moving around.

Once the slats were down, we stuck an airbed and sleeping bag on top. It was pretty comfortable!
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Sea Simon

Re: Sleeping in a BRe cockpit. Bed slats
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2023, 07:51 »
Didn't  use them on my BRe, but I  recall IKEA sold them pre made, "styles to suit all budgets", but sizes to suit Swedish furniture. We had in the house some fancy bent beech wood ones (which made them relarively light and springy), with nylon webbing straps lacing them into a preformed roll. Looked rather like a nicely finished garden fence.  Might suit?
They are easily alterable in both width and length (if they are wide enough?).
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Rich Maynard

Re: Sleeping in a BRe cockpit
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2023, 08:45 »
Thank you. Trip to IKEA it is then!