Author Topic: BayCruiser 21  (Read 16723 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
BayCruiser 21
« on: 19 Sep 2023, 16:26 »
Another new boat from SY - a BayCruiser 21. Although actually 20' long and almost identical in length to the BRe, so presumably the name is to differentiate it from the BC20. Described as (summarised from SY website):

"The idea behind the design was to improve on the Bay Raider expedition ... It was essential we did not lose the character or features of the original, making only improvements, in certain key areas:

A longer waterline length, with slightly more sail area in a more efficient sail plan.
Fully self-draining cockpit, with or without the water ballast.
Side decks you can walk on.
A better view over the cabin roof.
The cabin bunks have been redesigned so that you step down into a footwell between the heads of the two bunks.
Dedicated space for a chemical toilet in the cabin."

Unlike the BRe & BC20, there's no mizzen.

https://swallowyachts.com/bay-cruiser-21-a-small-boat-with-big-ideas/
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Tony

Re: BayCruiser 21
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2023, 17:23 »
 Better looking than the BRe  with a nod to the  Cardigan Bay Lugger. I'd miss the mizzen - jib and mizzen always handy in a blow but I expect the  BC21 would sail rings around my CBL "Four Sisters". (Except downwind when only a spinnaker beats  a big lugsail.)

Nigel Baker

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2023, 18:52 »
The new Bay Cruiser 21 looks superb. I sold my 11 year old Cornish Crabber 22 in July and have been wondering what my next boat will be, and this could well be the answer. The Crabber 22 was a lovely boat but the mast took three people to put up and take down, the rig was heavy and the gaff sail always a pain to furl. I have looked at the Bay Cruiser 23 but thought her a bit big, and with the BRE I had concerns about safe access to the foredeck, anchoring on a swinging mooring, and access to what was a very small cabin. I always liked the look of the old Bay Cruiser 20 but they were very expensive due to their build. The new boat seems to have taken many of the good points about the Bay Cruiser and combined them with the many good points of the BRE. Matt looks to have done an excellent job and as soon as one is available to look at I will be heading up to Wales with the intention of ordering one.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2023, 20:18 »
Here (attached) are some comparisons of the BRe specifications against the provisional ones for the BC21.

The most significant differences are in weight and sail area, then beam and centreboard length.  The ballast tank(s) on the BC21 must be considerably bigger, perhaps accommodated by having a higher cockpit sole and seating, allowing a better view over the cabin roof.  It looks like the boom is attached a bit higher up the mast, giving more headroom.

Excluding the bowsprit (fixed on the BRe?), differences in length between the two boats are negligible.

I'd miss the mizzen too.

Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2023, 11:16 »
Thanks GW.

It will be fascinating to see how these numbers ultimately affect sailing performance, boat on boat.

Any prices yet?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2023, 11:54 »
Undoubtedly >the BRe, <the BC23 and more than I can afford!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Nigel Baker

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2023, 11:12 »
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I made the long journey up from the Fal to Gwbert to sail the new BC21. Myself and another prospective owner arrived at the yard at 8.30 with many layers on as it was below zero and blowing an easterly, which quickly gathered in strength. To begin with we sailed with full rig up, no reefs and no ballast. The other prospective owner came from a dinghy background - I had a Crabber 22 which I sold in July - and seemed determined to capsize us. He failed! Eventually after Matt had dropped a few hints a reef was taken in and water ballast added and the ride became much more comfortable, and something my wife could live with. The boat did sail very well indeed. The cockpit is enormous, certainly as large as in the Crabber 22, and the cabin - which was not yet fitted out - is larger than on the BRE, and has a footwell, and access is easier than on the BRE. The main things that stopped me buying a BRE was the very poor access to the foredeck, the lack of an anchor well and the many moans I have read about anchoring and mooring. These have been solved, there are now proper side decks which allow access (and SS rails on the coach roof to hold on to), there is a proper foredeck well with an anchor locker and though there was no samson post/bollard on the test boat I understand one will be fitted. The other prospective owner and myself placed orders so it was a very successful morning for all concerned. It was only next day when we visited the yard again to finalise matters that we learned that this was only the third time the boat had been sailed, and the first time with anyone but Matt onboard. He must have been a little nervous but he didn't show it.  We look forward to delivery in May.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2023, 13:53 »
Sounds very positive, thanks for sharing that update.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Sea Simon

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2023, 15:27 »
Good news. Thanks for updating us.

May delivery, ideal for the Swallow meet at Mylor in July 2024?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Nigel Baker

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2023, 16:48 »
Perhaps I could do a "sail past"?

Sea Simon

Re: BayCruiser 21. Demonstrator?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2023, 13:24 »
I think you'll be very much in demand.

Try and strike a deal as a demonstrator?  ;)
...From Oct 22.

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2023, 16:11 »
I made a recent trip to Gwbert and had a look at the new offerring. This link has a few pictures of some of the detail:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/ijgkv41rkt6ueta7cav1x/h?rlkey=u8s0rlpobn5w93bkr5iqou4c3&dl=0

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Nicky R

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2024, 18:01 »
Those of you who don’t use Facebook might want to take a look at the Swallow Yachts YouTube channel. They’re releasing teaser videos of the 21 in the lead up to Boot in Düsseldorf. The official launch (as opposed to the launch into the Teifi) is on the 20th January.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Swallowboats
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Sea Simon

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2024, 09:46 »
New video of build, and some stills of completed interior now added on U tube.
Appears to be at least two hulls in production? Turquoise/duck egg + a royal blue?

Looks great.
...From Oct 22.

Thomas Rahm

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2024, 20:10 »
I have seen the new BC 21 in Düsseldorf.
It's wonderful!!!
Thomas R  BRE 084 "well done"