Author Topic: Outboard Well Wooden Surround  (Read 5804 times)

MarkF

Outboard Well Wooden Surround
« on: 22 Sep 2023, 17:43 »
The protective plywood surround on the hull below our outboard well has some bare patches where the coating has worn off through general use.

It looks like a kind of rubberised coating. Does anyone know what it is and the best paint/coating to touch up the bare wood, please?
BR20 Gunter-rigged

MarkF

Re: Outboard Well Wooden Surround
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2023, 16:55 »
According to the yard, the wood is covered with epoxy with a black pigment. They say any 2-part  paint will also do the job.

The black sealant around the edge (looks like it’s used on most of the boat’s joints) is Bostik construction adhesive.

Can anyone recommend a suitable brand of epoxy? Several out there, although perhaps they are all similar.
BR20 Gunter-rigged

garethrow

« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2023, 18:34 »
Mark
I get my epoxy from Fyne Boat kits and have no problems with it.
Regards
Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

MarkF

« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2023, 22:55 »
Gareth,
Thank you for the recommendation. A couple of questions spring to mind.

First (sorry if obvious!) is there a particular advantage to slow cure epoxy, other than extended working time? I only need to coat a small area, so a fast cure will make the boat useable more quickly.

I found this stuff. Do you reckon it would do the job? As a paint it would save me having to mix in a pigment ( I could just not bother anyway). I’m not sure if this will set hard enough.

https://www.taindustrialpaints.co.uk/products/two-pack-epoxy-marine-boat-paint?variant=38016896958631&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gbraid=0AAAAADvjJVrDwCPbYKONZmLBugdh5vnMN&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8qmr_myggMVEsDtCh38CAG_EAQYAiABEgIoTvD_BwE
BR20 Gunter-rigged

garethrow

« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2023, 09:47 »
Mark

I haven't used this particualr product, but do use an equivalent product from International Yacht Paints which is effetively a 2 pack grey epoxy paint, and get good results where I want a tough but not paticularly brilliant finish. It is effectively intended as an undercoat I think. Given the relatively visible location of your intended use I think I would try a bit out on a spare bit of ply to see what it dries like before committing to the boat. Re rapid set epoxy - never really tried using it other than in Araldite form. Normal epoxy gives you about 30 to 45 mins working time at 18 degrees C  - which is your ideal workshop temperature for epoxy work. I am not a particualr expert on this sort of thing and there will be others on this forum who are more experienced than myself in these matters.

Hope that helps

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

MarkF

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2023, 08:44 »
Hi Gareth,
Thank you for your advice. I will try out some 2-part paint and see how well it sets.

I was considering normal epoxy rather than slow setting because of prevailing conditions. Unfortunately my workshop temperature is whatever the weather is doing on our drive - cold, damp and unfavourable, currently! I was concerned how well a slow epoxy would cope with these conditions.
BR20 Gunter-rigged