Swallow Yachts Forum > Sailing and Events

waterside pubs with jetties

(1/3) > >>

johnguy:
Here’s a question. I am thinking about where to plan some sailing trips with my Swallow Bre next year. Can anyone recommend sailing areas where there are waterfront pubs with jetties it is possible to tie up to? In the Falmouth area there is the famous Pandora Inn, but as far as I know there are no others in any part of that estuary and inlets. In Milford Haven there are five, which is great, makes for fun morning and afternoon sails with a nice break for a pub lunch. But are there any in Plymouth Sound and the Tamar? Or anywhere else in the south and west? There is a good website for launch sites and slipways around the UK, but not one I know of that lists pubs with jetties. Maybe a business opportunity for someone. It would be a great resource.

Graham W:
Good question!  Yacht clubs with similar facilities could also be included.

Sea Simon:
Blimey...so many...where to start? Big advantage of BR/Bre size boats is that you can also beach if needed.
I often have to tow a tender/kayak with my bigger boat.

Look for tankard symbol, or PH on maps/charts. I generally carry OS maps as well as charts, better for finding footpaths than Google.

Pubs within 100m or so of pontoons...

St Mawes Town. Pubs, YC and some VERY nice hotels/restaurants. Idle Rocks a (expensive) favourite! (Beaches/slipway access)

Falmouth town itself (pontoons right in centre of town) Penryn.
Flushing &  Mylor (with yacht clubs too).

"Redacted"!  ;)

Helford. Pub and yacht club, pub at Helford passage too.
"Redacted"!  ;)
Not too far to Portscatho, Porthallow, Cadgwith, Coverack etc...subject to favourable weather...all with pubs n hotels (beaches/slipways, not pontoons)

I could easily fill two weeks around and about Falmouth.

"Redacted"!  ;)

Plymouth...a larger, more military, yet also yotty city destination. Lots of history too...also has quieter isolated pubs and YCs at, for example "Redacted"!  ;)

Guides.
The new book advertised on here may be useful? I've not seen one.
https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17

I have an older (8th ed) "West Country Cruising Companion" for a few quid off ebay. Newer pilot books can be borrowed directly from my local library. Hospitality venues charted and described.

Nicky R:
There are several I know of on the east coast.

The Blackwater has the Jolly Sailor and the Queens Head pubs at Maldon and The Jolly Sailor and the Old Ship at Heybridge. The Green Man at Bradwell isn’t on the water, but is a 5 minute walk from the marina or slipway.

The River Orwell has the Butt and Oyster at Pin Mill. The Royal Harwich yacht club at Wolverstone isn’t a pub, but is another favourite. Just check the opening times as it doesn’t do food every day.

There are many pubs in Harwich within a short walk of the Ha’penny pier, although they’re not on the river.

The Deben has the Ramsholt Arms and the Maybush at Waldringfield. There’s also the Ferry Boat inn at Felixstowe ferry which is a couple of minutes walk from the river, but getting ashore there can be tricky because of the very strong tides.

There aren’t any riverside pubs on the Ore and Alde, but the Jolly Sailor pubs at Orford and Plough and Sail pub at Snape are only a couple of minutes walk from the water.

garethrow:
If you are brave / foolish enough to be using the Teifi esturay (home to Swallow Yachts of course) then the Ferry Inn at St. Dogmaeils has its own jetty for customers to tie up to. If you make your way further up river to Cardigan and use the public pontoon there there are several adjacent options in town - Grosvenor pub, Pizza Tepee, 1176 restaurant, Fishermans Rest cafe, Albion Hotel. HOWEVER, be aware of tidal restrictions - roughly +/- 2hrs of HW and numerous shoals.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version