Author Topic: Anyone using the Swallow Lazyjack/stackpack system?  (Read 9033 times)

Margaret Owen

I’ve just enjoyed my first season sailing a BRe and love it, but I’d like to make it easier to handle single handed. I thought lazyjacks might help with dropping the main in a hurry. Lara at Swallow says they sell a system designed specially for the BRe (for a price…) incorporating lazyjacks and stackpack. Has anyone got one and if so how do you find it? My concerns are: does it make the mainsail more difficult to raise? (more ropes for the battens to snag on) And does the stackpack interfere with the mainsail when sailing? Any advice would be appreciated.
Margaret Owen
BRe ‘Wagtail’

Peter Cockerton

Re: Anyone using the Swallow Lazyjack/stackpack system?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2023, 12:13 »
Margaret

I have a BR20 with a stack pack system, my previous BR20 didn’t.
For my sailing just cruising with other half and dog I wouldn’t be without one.
Dropping and raising the main is very easy along with putting in a reef if required.
Against but manageable is you need to keep her into wind when handling the main as the lazy jacks will snag the battens, usually just the first (from the head) when raising. Also when shaking out a reef you will have to ease the reefing lines from within the pack as they tend not to run freely without intervention.
I originally had a topping lift as well, but this definitely increases the chances of a batten snag.
On my system the yard only installed two lazy jack lines down to the pack, this i found to be lacking in supporting the pack and keeping the opening open from front to back so I put in an extra block and made it into a three line system onto the pack.
One last thing, it would have been my preference to have the pack zip closure starting from the mast end, mine is from the clew, when dropping the main it is necessary on my boat to help the main down by pulling on the sail by the mast and and assisting the flaking into the pack, with the zip seating at the mast end you can then work your way back until the sail is tidy and well into the pack. Don’t get me wrong though, if single handed, put her into wind, release the halyard and the main will drop normally quite tidy into the pack certainly enough until you get her tied up.
As far as interfering with the sail when sailing it probably does to a minimum amount as the foot is always within the pack and as such will interfere with the air flow, but if you have a reef in on a non stack boat this I guess will be no different as the bunched sail will also have some impact on air flow.
In my opinion for my type of sailing with family, having the main kept nice and tidy when I’m finished for the day, it is certainly worth while.
One last point, the pack always has a small opening by the mast, tuck a piece of netting into it when not sailing as the birds, flies, love to get inside and make a nest.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Margaret Owen

« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2023, 16:11 »
Thank you Peter - that’s very helpful indeed. If i’ve understood correctly you removed your topping lift after installing the new system. Does that mean that the weight of the boom is taken by the lazy jacks when raising and lowering the main? I’ve read that that is not a good thing, but maybe that’s on bigger boats. I’m very much a beginner so may well have got that wrong!
Margaret Owen
BRe ‘Wagtail’

Nicky R

« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2023, 20:43 »
You don’t necessarily need the stack pack to have lazy jacks. We don’t have the stack pack on our 23, but have a pair of lazy jacks to catch the sail. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures as we only changed it this year. Assuming your BRE boom is like the one in on the BRE that we had (never a certainty as ours was number 1) you could probably do something similar.

We have two lacing eyes on the boom and attach a length of line between them that makes a triangle with the boom. We then have a rope attaching to that from high up the mast so that the whole thing makes an upside down Y shape. It works really well as lazy jacks, and catches the sail nicely when it’s dropped. We find that it catches the sail less during the hoist than the single line to the boom that the boat was originally rigged with.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Nicky R

« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2023, 20:47 »
It’s not the best photo, but hopefully this shows you what I was describing. They’re lose in this photo, but go tight and support the boom when the sail is dropped. You’ll need to zoom in to see them!
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2023, 21:05 »
Thank you Peter - that’s very helpful indeed. If i’ve understood correctly you removed your topping lift after installing the new system. Does that mean that the weight of the boom is taken by the lazy jacks when raising and lowering the main? I’ve read that that is not a good thing, but maybe that’s on bigger boats. I’m very much a beginner so may well have got that wrong!

That’s correct Margaret, the three lines each side of the lazy jacks support the pack holding the main, the pack has a stiffener along each side too distribute the weight, Matt suggested I didn’t need the topping lift and so far I agree with him.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Margaret Owen

« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2023, 08:34 »
Thank you Nicky/Peter -thats given me a much clearer idea of the options. Very useful to have a photograph! I might have a go at rigging some lazy jacks and see how they work before investing in the Swallow stack pack system.
Margaret Owen
BRe ‘Wagtail’

Nicky R

« Reply #7 on: 07 Oct 2023, 14:53 »
I’m glad that was useful. When you do experiment, I’d advise tying off the existing topping lift to begin with and getting a bit of extra length on the rope attached to the boom. That way you can try it out and work out the best lengths before you cut it.
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Margaret Owen

« Reply #8 on: 07 Oct 2023, 17:45 »
Thanks Nicky - will do
Margaret Owen
BRe ‘Wagtail’