Author Topic: Winter sailing  (Read 4846 times)

Conor

Winter sailing
« on: 16 Oct 2023, 20:30 »

I was wondering if many people sail their bayaiders through the Winter, especially in fresh water?

I am little concerned by the amount of water in the boat at any time, dregs in the ballast tank and some in the buoyancy tanks so deliberating whether it is safer to pack up over winter.

Any particular precautions you would recommend?
New BR 20 sailor

johnguy

Re: Winter sailing
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2023, 14:20 »
I keep my Bre in the water in Cardiff Bay, fresh, and sail it all year. I pump out the ballast if I think a big freezing spell coming, otherwise no problems.

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:43 »
UK or "proper cold"?

Consider perhaps adding a splash of non toxic antifreeze (commonly sold in caravan suppliers) to the various tanks, so as to prevent freezing and potential damage in cracks/seams within tanks?

I've never done FW winter sailing (and never will) but a pal who raced dinghies on UK reservoirs thru the winter tells tails of using car de-icer in cleats and clutches, and having to soak sheets etc in brine to help prevent them freezing solid. Nuts!

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Conor

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2023, 18:16 »
Thanks for the replies. I used to sail my dinghy year round in UK freshwater so wanted to make sure there wasn't a reason not to do the same with the BR20. The anti freeze suggestion is a good one, I guess a small amount won't do any harm, I'll have a look and biodegradable/eco options.

Thanks again, I'll now get a few extra months sailing!
New BR 20 sailor