Author Topic: Tim LeMare  (Read 5639 times)

Matthew P

Tim LeMare
« on: 25 Nov 2023, 19:40 »
I'm sorry to write that my good friend Tim passed away, swept over the bar sooner than expected by cancer a week ago.

Tim was a creative and entertaining person with many talents.  His career included yacht charter skipper, boat restoring, jewellery making.  As the rig on his BRe, Papagena, testified, Tim was an innovative designer and a skilled craftsman. He was also a great person to be with in challenging situations. I was privileged to crew with Tim when he piloted a yacht through the sound of Jura, in F5+, mid-tide and in the dark. Tim was also the best sea-cook I've ever met, once he got used to my appetite.  We will miss him and our condolences very much go to Jo and his family.

Tim's cremation will be Tuesday 5th December at 2.45pm West Wiltshire Crematorium, Devizes Road, Semington, Trowbridge BA14 6HL.

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Sea Simon

Re: Tim LeMare
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2023, 20:29 »
Very sorry to hear this news about Tim.

We were not close friends, but first met in the Supernova dinghy fleet...maybe 20 years ago? Perhaps more?
I recall he was just as innovative back then, and introduced several new ideas to that fleet. Some quite radical.

I can also recall him helping me to "snag" a new Supernova of mine (i think we both had several of these boats over the years? I had 5) at an open race meet at a reservoir Oxford/Cotswolds way?
I had traded  in my old boat, and foolishly had decided it was a good idea to race the new boat at the open meet on the way home from the factory at Derby. Should of course have been the other way around!
Tim took pity on my self-inflicted, unnecessary struggles and helped me get the damn thing sorted and moving...Many Thanks!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Nicky R

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2023, 17:41 »
We’re so sorry to hear this news about Tim. We had great fun racing against him at the raids in Mylar - we'll always remembering him chasing us with an anmbitious/imprudent amount of sail, depending on who you asked! He was also great company in the evenings afterwards. We will miss him.
Please pass on our condolences to Jo and the family.
Nicky and Mark
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2023, 20:06 »
I am sorry to hear this news. My memories of Tim (all at Mylor) are of his outrageous amounts of canvas and string and of his generous enthusiasm and humour. I'm afraid I can't make it to his funeral, as I'll be at Gwbert on the day, where we'll remember him. Please pass on my condolonces to Jo.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Ape Ears

« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec 2023, 10:20 »
Tim was as unique as the Gaff Cutter Ketch rig on Papagena. The boat was designed by Matt Newland, but the design and construction of the rig was entirely Tim's work. Inspired by his artistic inclination and sense of aesthetics, it also exemplified an age old maritime tradition, including the cheeky mermaid proudly displayed on the topsail.

Tim demonstrated his ability as a sailor and yachtsman by beating the modern Bermudan and Gunter rigged BayRaiders and SeaRaider at Swallow events. He thereby justified his own design, verified the capabilities of the BRe, and proved the versatility of his boat. The fact that he did this single handed, contending with miles of string, is even more remarkable.

Tim was always good company and willing to share his experiences which leave a legacy on this forum. I remember his advice on careening Papagena to calibrate the uphaul and downhaul for the centreboard position, a mystery for most BRe owners.

On this day of Tim's funeral we remember him, and send our love to Jo and his family.

Adieu
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Richard Le Mare

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2024, 22:46 »
What wonderful words from you all thankyou.

Dad's imagination lives with me and the innovations he created and brought to life during my life keep me inspired.

This may be my first post here but I can assure you it won't be my last as I continue his dream realised