Author Topic: Favourite Sailing Books  (Read 6558 times)

Willie The Rut Lander

Favourite Sailing Books
« on: 28 Nov 2023, 21:18 »
What are your favourite sailing books? My fave semi-technical book is probably the The Blue Book of Sailing: 22 Keys To Sailing Mastery. I’ve sailed (probably badly) for over 50 years and, for me, this book distils the key criteria of why boats react to the forces exerted upon them and why certain designs suit specific waters (you can probably tell I'm not an engineer, unlike some other esteemed Forum contributors ;-) ). It also taught me how we, as skippers, can use an individual boat’s characteristics to our greatest advantage/benefit plus reinforcing the old adage of respect the sea and choosing the right boat for the conditions. It’s a little American-centric but still wonderful.
I have other ideas on novels etc., but happy to hear about any genre. Oh, I can’t help myself (I was going to stop there) - for adventure, I loved reading Iain Lawrence’s Wreckers novels to my young children in the early 2000s. There were wonderful descriptions of pirate's life on wild English (and other) coastlines a few hundred years ago; beware the dangers of a lee-shore and unwelcoming hosts!
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Favourite Sailing Books
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2023, 12:34 »
Below a photo of one of my book stacks with some of my favourites towards the top.

The RYA's 'Fishing Afloat' has one of the best techniques for trolling for big fish that I've ever come across, involving a sinker tied to the stern and a rubber band attaching the sinker to your fishing line.  When the fish is on, the rubber band snaps off the sinker with a twang and then it's just you, the line and the fish.

Glasspool's 'Open Boat Cruising' because that's how I got started on sailing small open boats.

'The Dinghy Cruising Companion' by Roger Barnes (him again) because it takes you in the same direction as Glasspool but is much more up-to-date.  I've got the first edition - there's now an updated second edition.

Not a book but nevertheless worth a mention, 'The Marine Quarterly', which I've subscribed to since it first came out in 2011.  It describes itself as the antidote to yachting magazines. https://www.themarinequarterly.com.

See also this thread from 2016 https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1406.0.html

Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Willie The Rut Lander

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2023, 17:58 »
Thanks Graham,
Actually, it was Mr Barnes' book that drew me to the BRe. I read it about 15 months ago and it made me realise that coastal sailing in a versatile and seaworthy boat was what the type of adventure I wanted next. I swiftly acquired the Rushton's BRe a few weeks later (and love it).
I shall check out the other books etc.
Thanks
Willie
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

Nicky R

« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2023, 17:45 »
We're so glad that she’s gone to a good home and that you love her. Hopefully you’ll have lots more fun adventures in her!
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Willie The Rut Lander

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2023, 21:06 »
Hi Nicky
Apols - just seen your post. Yep - I'm loving Grace/Susannah. When I'm not sailing, I'm thinking about sailing - but don't tell the Leader of The Opposition. ;-)
I hope you've enjoyed your first season of your BC 23? It looks like it from your posts.
ATB
Willie

Ged

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2023, 14:57 »
My favourite technical book is 'Coastal Turmoil' by Ken Endean... I find it a bit dense but the more times I read it the more stuff sinks in, I think it's out of print but is available used.
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Sea Simon

Re: Favourite Sailing Books. Coastal Turmoil...
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2023, 19:30 »
Thanks for the reminder.
I've wanted to read this book for some time, not in my local library either.

My used copy, £8, arrived today.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.