Author Topic: BRe Replacement Sails  (Read 2505 times)

BobT

BRe Replacement Sails
« on: 18 Jan 2024, 11:05 »
The sails on my 2012 Bre No 6 "Escape" are beginning to look a little weary. Mizzen and main are probablu Ok for another year or two but the jib is looking very thin in places. I have asked Swallow Yachts for a price for new sails and will speak with local (Faversham) sail repair/maker about prices but thought I would ask this knowlegible forum for advice/suggestions on where to get new sails and likely prices?
Bob
BRe "Escape"

garethrow

Re: BRe Replacement Sails
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2024, 16:39 »
Oh dear, does that mean you will be going even faster this year Bob? :(

Can't help you on sail prices I am afraid but I am imagine that if you approached Hyde they would point you back to Swallow Yachts. Dolphin might give you a price perhaps?

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 grp Halen Y Mor

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2024, 18:45 »
Firstly,  I have no axe to grind with Hyde.
However, I feel their sails are relatively  expensive (and I went direct, not via yard) for relatively  ordinary sails. Indeed, in some respects they are a bit "cheap and nasty", corners being cut...imho...see below.
My BRe original sails has seen maybe 4 trips before I purchased the boat?

Replacements. I went to a local guy,  He also made new sails for my BC26. (currently  unavailable,  as working overseas. When he returns, I'm planning a semi battened,  proper roller reefing jib.  Although my original 10 yo Hyde roller reefer on the BC26 is still reasonable).
I'm sure you'd do better to do similar?
Maybe someone near your location (where?) will be able to recommend? You will also then get access to some aftersales service/support, which can be very important.

My original BRe Hyde jib was a very poor cut...imho...WAY too full, impossible to flatten in strong winds (and I don't mean "roller-reefing" like the BC26). First thing I did was change halyard to dyneema, this helped, but could not eliminate the bellying in stronger winds. The Anti UV strip disintegrated in <2 yrs, with very little use. Had to be renewed (£100).
I had made a BRe "race jib", semi battened, non furling and some 1.2 m2 larger (longer luff, as no furler, and slightly bigger overlap) than the original Hyde. This had a cunningham too. Appx £500 in 2019, I think. This was cheaper than a standard Hyde jib (which I retained for cruising), and the new jib transformed the boat upwind. A bit of a faff to fit on the Bre, as the furled jib needed to be removed, or at least dropped and stowed, but I managed. Sail sold with boat.
Had I kept the BRe, I would have also renewed my somewhat too-full mizzen, and perhaps added some battens...Salcombe Yawl style.

Hyde BRe main. Their "contract", off-the-roll, battens are total rubbish (same cr@p was found fitted in my original BC26 sails, all since replaced too, but in this case the 10 year old main was, not unreasonably,  worn out). I changed to tapered epoxy battens, £175  ish? For BRe.
I also got a proper cunniham point fitted, with the sail reinforced appropriately. Allowed a meaningful amount of purchase to be applied, allowing full cunningham, quickly/easily with one hand.
Both of which made a massive difference to a very average Hyde BRe main sail.

Others have had a "lens" type foot on their replacement main, as the Hyde straight foot looks a bit mean?

Added 24/01. Forgot to add...a BC20 owner near me had a new self tacking jib made by Sailshape sailmakers at Lostwithiel. I believe they also have a loft in Poole. Results were reported as good, and price competitive,  I understand?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2024, 17:28 »
Bob,

I’d be interested to hear how you get on if you decide to go with Wilkinsons in Faversham.  They’ve done a bit of remedial sail work for me, including shortening the anti-torsion cable on my code zero, and I’ve been happy with what they’ve done.

When I was trying to find someone at Hollowshore to do some gelcoat and GRP work for me, I found what seemed like another sail loft opposite the Shipwright’s Arms.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

BobT

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2024, 09:24 »
Hi All,
Thanks for the feedback. Wilkinsons are going to patch up the jib this year with other sails being OK for the time being. They will also give me a price for a new jib. That though raised another question of fabric for sails as they cater for larger boat cruising market. Any pointers as to what to look for or avoid?
Bob
BRe "Escape"