Author Topic: Measurements or CAD for marking waterline on BR17  (Read 1688 times)

domf70

After many years of Drascombe sailing in Poole Harbour I acquired 'Tarika' last Summer, a Bayraider 17 that has to date been kept on a trailer so never been anti fouled and I'll be keeping her on a swinging mooring. I've found someone in Poole to do the hull prep / priming / first coat of antifouling but to do so I need to mark up the waterline in the next couple of months so I can launch her in May. As I might struggle to find a calm enough day to get her in the water and mark her up I was wondering if anyone might have any CAD drawings or measurements for the the waterline on a Bayraider 17, ideally taken with the ballast tank full as I'll keep the ballast tank full when she's on the mooring. I've been advised to allow 3-4 inches as she will be on a swinging mooring. I have asked Swallowyachts if they might be able to help but unfortunately all their CAD drawings were destroyed in a fire!

Sea Simon

Re: Measurements or CAD for marking waterline on BR17
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2024, 08:23 »
Sorry, I  can't help with the details of the BR 17 waterline.

However,  there is much information on this forum that will be useful wrt keeping these boats on swinging moorings.

Imho, the advice already received, to keep ballast water in when left unattended on swing moorings, is important for stability in strong winds.

Is your boat epoxy ply or plastic?
I've just brought a Fyne Boats Wherry,  an epoxy ply (5mm I think?) rowing boat that is so lightly built that I'm fretting about even pulling it up the beach...
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

domf70

Re: Measurements or CAD for marking waterline on BR17
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2024, 09:10 »
Thanks for the advice - yes after years of keeping a Drascombe on a swinging mooring I've realised she rides out the rough weather a lot better when there's a few inches of rainwater in her giving greater stability. Ballet tanks full will on my BR17 doubt have the same effect.

She is epox marine ply but pretty robust, Swallowboats reassured me that keeping her on a mooring wouldn't be a problem at all if properly anti fouled. I did have concerns about keeping her on the mooring with the mast up, but have been reassured from this forum that it's perfectly secure as long as the jib halyard is properly fastened.

Good luck with the Fine Boats Wherry - my thinking is that if timber / ply was robust and light enough for airframes in WW2 it must be a lot more robust than it seems!