Author Topic: Wanted: US based Swallow Yachts for sale  (Read 623 times)

Bill Boehnke

Wanted: US based Swallow Yachts for sale
« on: 17 Apr 2024, 00:47 »
Looking for United States based Swallow Yachts for sale, Bay Raider Expedition / Bay Cruiser 23.

MarkDarley

Re: Wanted: US based Swallow Yachts for sale
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2024, 22:31 »
Bill, I could ship you over my epoxy ply Bayraider 20 from the UK if you like.  I have shipped two boats to California.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Jeremy Apted

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2024, 01:06 »
I contemplated shipping my BC23 from Australia to the UK and was staggered that the transport cost was approximately GBP 18,000. Roll On Roll Off was available. The BC23 was too large for a container.

MarkDarley

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2024, 23:32 »
Jeremy,
 I contemplated shipping a lovely Denman Marine built Bayraider 20 from New Zealand to California.  To my surprise, it was vastly more expensive than the price of shipping one from the UK to California. 
It seems New Zealand and Australia are in a class of their own for export shipping costs.  I understand that this is because the cargo vessels that leave from that part of the world want to leave the bulk of their capacity to take on cargo coming out of Asia.
I ended up shipping a nice Bayraider from the UK as roll on/ roll off.  It replaced a Salterns Tela that I shipped to California in a 20ft container 8 years earlier.  The cost of the roll on /roll off shipping was about four times that of the container 8 years earlier.
Having said all of this, it is now clear to me that shipping costs have been unusually volatile in the last 4 years.

Bill, 
Good luck finding that Swallow in the US.  It seems they rarely come up for sale in the US as owners hang onto them, but keep looking.  Some close friends of mine found Bayraider 20, wooden hull number 2, in Oregon.  The owner had contacted Matt, and he called Jim and Ashley.  Jim left from California for Oregon just a few hours after he heard of the boat and snagged it.  Like mine, it now calls Tomales Bay home.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!